revolutions + resolutions

January 11, 2015



I love using words.  

I also love it when those words so fittingly express the feelings and convey the emotion I am trying to send forth to those I love and care for, as well as give tongue to the things I am passionately fighting for. Words convey so much meaning in them. And sometimes one word is all it takes to build someone up or tear them down. 

But today I am writing about a particular word that is a part of my New Year's REVOLUTION. Yes, I still have my resolutions, but consolidated into a different frame of mind. My revolution requires spiritual fitness and the exercising of my hope, faith, and growing patience; while my resolutions require physical fitness, determination, and a lot of brain power. 

THE "ONE WORD" REVOLUTION

At the beginning of this month of the New Year-as in 2015-I was challenged by my Uncle to participate in a "one word" resolution. And while I have done this several times before, choosing words like healthier, closer, loving, patience, etc. I was, for the first time, indecisive as to whether I wanted to do something like that again. Indeed, it would be simple. But I have found that it's more difficult to stick to one word, because throughout the year that I am focusing on the "chosen" word, I end up discovering new words to focus on, new paths to follow that have spawned from that one word. It's hard to keep on track. 

And yet, this year, I have decided to let all that "control" I felt I had to have during my "one word" resolution and allow God to truly and fully transform my life through the word and the words He wanted me to discover, and even rediscover.

Before I even decided to "join" in the resolution, I prayed. And through that prayer God pressed upon my heart no only my one word, but the fact that this resolution I was partaking of would not be merely a resolution that I stuck to for a while and then trailed off mid-year. No. This word was to be my revolution. I was to fight for this word. To fight against all the forces that threatened to make me forget my blessings, and keep me knocked down because of certain details of my young adult life have not yet come to pass.

My "one word" is contentmentAccording to the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, Contentment is "the state of being happy and satisfied" or "the state of being content". 

My goal for 2015 is to be content with (1) what I have (2) with being single (3) with who I am as a person. And while I have been encountering life lessons that have been teaching the lessons of contentment during the season of 2014, I ultimately want to explore the realm of contentedness in a more spiritual manner, and in a more sincere way as I grow closer to God throughout this journey. 

On this journey I will look to God for guidance, as well as Apostle Paul for Biblical sustenance and encouragement throughout the coming days and months of the new year. In this time of learning about contentment, I will lean upon the Word of God to supply my daily refreshment. And ultimately, guide me on a journey to complete fulfillment and utter happiness, dependent ONLY upon the King of Kings. 

My verse for 2015-->

For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. {2 Corinthians 12:10}


RESOLUTIONS

My New Year's resolutions are fairly simple and achievable. 

School--> this is, above all else (aside from any and all spiritual aspects of life) my primary focus in life as of right now. This semester and the summer semester are the only two I have left before I get my double associates degree in English/History. I am taking a speech class during the spring semester and then a second Biology class during the summer months. Once those classes are finished (Lord willing!) I will graduate in the fall. When that's accomplished, I will move on to get my CDA-an early childhood associates degree through tecta that will help me further my career in early childhood education. On top of that, I am praying that I will get approved for some of their scholarships, which will help me with my goal in getting my Elementary Education B.A and M.A. at WGU of Tennessee. Whew!

Starbucks--> Enough said. NO MORE COFFEE. I am going to take this one day by day as I visit the coffee shop regularly. So...if I can manage to take the visits down to 3x a week, I will be well pleased! Of course, the goal is to have zero visits for coffee by the end of 2015.

Money--> My goal is to be a better steward with my money. I know being single, you don't have to worry about supporting any one. But-I want to be able to take care of myself and live on my own. I do have a few bills to pay, but really, let's face it, I need to take care of my money and see to it that my expenses are going where they are intended to go. Number one goal is to SAVE, SAVE, SAVE.

Health--> I work out at home from time to time, but it's just not the same as having the comradery of others there to struggle with you. Or, in my case, at least not make you feel bad for not being in tip-top shape. So....I am joining a week night kickboxing class at a local Karate Studio. I am excited to get back into sweating and punching and feeling my best again! But-in the end, this picture says it ALL!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.