Do Not Merely Exist BLESSED SINGLENESS + FORSAKING IT ALL SAIL THE HIGH SEAS + BIBLE MAN ARMOR

He's got this....

February 21, 2013

I'll just be honest with you right here. I am nervous about this coming Friday (tomorrow). Never before have I been nervous, or, worried about a day in my life since I was put on anxiety medication. But this worry that is plaguing me is something different. It's not an "OMG I have a test tomorrow" kind of worry. It's more of an emotional worry that I cannot begin to describe.

Mixed in with that emotional worry is a worry regarding how I am going to 1) enjoy spending time with my boyfriend at a broom hockey game and, 2) how I am going to make it home at 2 am in the morning without falling asleep at the wheel. Unless he were to come and pick me up, Friday night looks like it's not going to happen...
  
Aside from that kind of worry that I have been wrestling with, the emotional worry has to do with this letter I have written to my boyfriend. I am worried about what he'll say and think about it, because it is a very deep and personal letter expressing my feelings towards him. Not in so many words do I tell him that I love him, because I am not ready to fully and completely give my heart away to someone I have barely known for 3 months. But I want him to know I genuinely care and have feelings for him. And better than saying it through speech (which I am not good at!), I wanted to do it through sentimentally written words.

I want to share with him how I feel because he has (not in so many words as I Love You), but he has expressed to me that he does have true feelings for me that he wasn't sure he had had before, but were just now surfacing. And as he sat me down to tell me this, all I did was nod and smile. I didn't say anything in return other than "Oh, that's sweet". You would think a hopeless romantic would know how to say something romantic back. But NO!

Every time I catch myself worrying, especially over something that is about to happen and I am not sure what to do or say or think, I think back on the promise that I can cast all my fears (or worries) upon the Lord.

And each time I do cast my worries upon the Lord, I am reminded of four simple truths that help me to calm down and refocus. 

1. Worrying Accomplishes Absolutely Nothing.
"Can all your worries add a single moment to your life? And why worry about your clothing? Look at the lilies of the field and how they grow. They don't work or make their clothing, yet Solomon in all his glory was not dressed as beautifully as they are." Matthew 6:27-29 
2. Worrying is Not Good for You.
"Worry weighs a person down; an encouraging word cheers a person up." Proverbs 12:25 
3. Worrying is the Opposite of Trusting God.
"And if God cares so wonderfully for wildflowers that are here today and thrown into the fire tomorrow, he will certainly care for you. Why do you have so little faith?" Matthew 6:30 
"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7  
4. Worrying Puts Your Focus in the Wrong Direction.
"That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life-whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn't life more than food, and your body more than clothing?" Matthew 6:25 
"So don't worry about these things, saying, 'What will we eat? What will we drink? What will we wear?' These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers, but your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need." Matthew 6:31-33 
"Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you." 1 Peter 5:7 

3 comments

  1. hey, I've been wanting to send you this song because I thought you'd like it. But I wanted to send it to you when I thought you could really use it.
    so anyways I hope you like it :)

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVgIllbm2EI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Layla! I appreciate you thinking of me. The song was wonderful!

      Delete
  2. Lovely post Emily! Thanks so much for sharing these verses! You are so right, He does have it all figured out and we don't need not worry! I hope your boyfriend loves the letter and realizes he's lucky to have such an nice girlfriend! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.