So many girls suffer from depression, bullying, emotional distresses such as abuse, and eating disorders every second of the day while they're on this earth. My heart breaks for them. It yearns to help them realize their significance in this world and that all their pain, scars, and open wounds can be healed by the love of others who ooze the love of Christ. Only Christ can save, but if we plant that seed we've done hopefully enough to keep these girls, who are searching frantically for a love like water-so plentiful and never faltering-alive one more day, so hopefully God can use that seed to grow hope and faith in those girls hearts.
Rain, a site dedicated to helping those who've been involved in rape, abuse, and incest says that "1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her lifetime (14.8% completed rape; 2.8% attempted rape)".
Bullying Statistics.org mentions statistics on girls who've been bullied is not only in school face-to-face, but also anonymously online:
- Over half of adolescents and teens have been bullied online, and about the same number have engaged in cyber bullying.
- More than 1 in 3 young people have experienced cyberthreats online.
- Over 25 percent of adolescents and teens have been bullied repeatedly through their cell phones or the Internet.
- Well over half of young people do not tell their parents when cyber bullying occurs.
DMH states that there is a significant number of girls, even guys with eating disorders:
- It is estimated that 8 million Americans have an eating disorder – seven million women and one million men
- One in 200 American women suffers from anorexia
- Two to three in 100 American women suffers from bulimia
- Nearly half of all Americans personally know someone with an eating disorder (Note: One in five Americans suffers from mental illnesses.)
- An estimated 10 – 15% of people with anorexia or bulimia are males
But the shocker is the death rate with those who have eating disorders:
- Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness
- A study by the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders reported that 5 – 10% of anorexics die within 10 years after contracting the disease; 18-20% of anorexics will be dead after 20 years and only 30 – 40% ever fully recover
- The mortality rate associated with anorexia nervosa is 12 times higher than the death rate of ALL causes of death for females 15 – 24 years old.
- 20% of people suffering from anorexia will prematurely die from complications related to their eating disorder, including suicide and heart problems.
All these are serious problems that need people like us to stand up and let these girls, and guys, know that it's unacceptable-the life they're living. But to also let them know that there is help, that we love them, and that we're there for them. Some situations these people cannot help, they've been put into a situation that they have no control over. That doesn't mean we can't love them regardless of their background or what they've chosen to do to themselves, or even what mental state they're in....
It's all about love.
1 Corinthians 13:4-8 "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away."
Ephesians 4:2 "with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love..."
John 15:9-17 "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Abide in my love. If you keep my commandments, you will abide in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commandments and abide in his love. These things I have spoken to you, that my joy may be in you, and that your joy may be full. “This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you. These things I command you, so that you will love one another."
There are so many ways we can show love. You don't have to know anyone with any of these serious problems to love on them. Just by praying you are offering undeniable hope to a lot girl who is desperate and scared and believes she is alone and unlovable.
Show them love. Show them Jesus.