Do Not Merely Exist BLESSED SINGLENESS + FORSAKING IT ALL SAIL THE HIGH SEAS + BIBLE MAN ARMOR

the scent of christ

August 17, 2012



I am in love with the book of 2 Corinthians. In that book, Paul poetically writes warnings to the church, but also offers insight and encouragement to fellow believers.

And as Paul found joy and comfort in Christ while he was on his journeys and in captivity, I am in the process of finding and attaining that same joy and comfort in a mighty God too!

2 Corinthians says this: "But thanks be to God, who always puts us on display in Christ, and spreads through us in every place the SCENT of knowing Him. For to God we are the fragrance of Christ" (2:14-17).

We are to be the fragrance of Christ and ooze from our hearts and being the magnifiscent essence of His love, for the world to see and be amazed by. We are called to be both the salt and the light of this delusional, bland, and rebellious world. But it is not an easy task when it is often something we ourselves are lacking and are admittingly guilty of daily. 

My life has not always been a pretty, flowery example of my belief in Christ. Many times has my faith been weak and of little evidence to the mighty God that has stuck by me through the perilous storms of my youth. I haven't always been the light to the lost, or the salt that is to season the unbelieving world. 

I have been a Doubtful Thomas-second guessing God's purpose and my needs; denying him the pleasure of blessing me; refusing to acknowledge them; and intentionally refusing them thinking that I am beyond all help or love. 

But in Christ I am loved and there is always an abundance of hope if one takes the time to ask. I have battled an eating disorder, have been diagnosed with Bipolar and Trichotillomania and a General Anxiety Disorder, but my scars haven't prohibited God from loving me. He loves me because of my scars-the mark of my spiritual trials and tribulations that have grown me into the maturing Christian that I am becoming-the woman He has created me to be!

Paul says we are to be the fragrance of Christ. Not in so many words does he say what that is exactly to smell like-hazelnut coffee, banana bread, cinnamon buns, fresh cut grass-but he does mention that we are filled with the SCENT of knowing Him, and with that we are to spread and share the warm essence of Christ's love to a world aching and scared. 

3 comments

  1. Very interesting, I've never heard it put that way, that we have the Scent of Christ in us. I like it! Nice post Emily! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an insightful post. Loved it. I need to work on having the "scent of Christ" this week. (:

    God bless,
    Melissa Renee
    girls-4-god.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog... I hope you will check out mine. http://emmavogelsang.blogspot.com/ . It is called Living Fully by Faith .


    Em

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.