Do Not Merely Exist BLESSED SINGLENESS + FORSAKING IT ALL SAIL THE HIGH SEAS + BIBLE MAN ARMOR

ED's Devos: Living Water

August 3, 2012

Walking around on this earth is the most natural thing we can do as humans. Trusting in God...not so much. The daily hustle and bustle of our lives is so distracting, mind boggling, and usually completed in our own strength, that there is little time for God left in our day.

I am guilty of doing it-doing things in my own power. In my mind if I wait for God things will never get done. They won't get done with the speed I am looking for, or the efficiency that I want. I do things on my own, like trying to feel spiritual by listening to music. But that never seems to fill my spiritual well with anything more than a few drops. I need a flood. And I am sure that some of you do as well.

Living Water

Daily Scripture 
'Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God and who it is that asks you for a drink, you would have asked him and he would have given you living water.”' John 4:10
It is not earthly water that my soul is in need of. No. It is living water that I can only acquire through a daily walk Jesus Christ. In an eating disorder this is easier said than done. You're so consumed with the thoughts of food that it's hard to think of focusing on anything else for more than a few seconds. Now, don't take this the wrong way, but food will not sustain your spiritual life. 


Water will not quench your spiritual thirst. If you are feeling empty and thirsty and hungry for something other than food, then maybe you're in need of a relationship with someone who "gets you". And Jesus Christ can be that "someone" if you will let down your guard, pick up a Bible, and start drawing from His Well. 


It doesn't work when you come to Jesus, thinking you have it all figured out, only wanting Him to sprinkle some magic fairy dust on your plans to make them "official". Those are your plans from your well-a hole in the ground. Not from God's Holy Well-Living Water. God says in John 4 that if we choose to drink from the earthly waters we will be thirsty again. That thirst will never be quenched spiritually. 


So, if earthly things are what you draw from, then you will always be thirsty. And from what I have been learning is that the only to quench that spiritual thirst is to to allow the only one who can, God. He's the only one who can fill you. God pours his Heavenly water into us so we can then pour it into others, but that doesn't mean that we are to continuously drain the people around us of their Living Water because we are too lazy to go to the Lord and fill our own cups. I encourage you, like me, to start allowing God to be your Well from which you draw from daily. From that well you will not ever be thirsty. 

1 comment

  1. Amen! I totally agree, only God can fulfill our spiritual daily cups. Though mine hasn't been too full lately with His Living Water. I also agree in that it's way easier said than done. Anyways, great post Emily! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.