Do Not Merely Exist BLESSED SINGLENESS + FORSAKING IT ALL SAIL THE HIGH SEAS + BIBLE MAN ARMOR

ED's Devos: I am Significant

July 27, 2012

I know, second post of the day. Eh, kind of forgot I had this one scheduled, but I was excited about the Olympics. Haha!
These devotionals don't necessarily have to apply to those with strictly eating disorders, though they are directed more towards girls struggling with that than anything else. But regardless of what we're struggling with, we all are faced with the same things now-and-then. These emotions, longings, desires, fears, etc., aren't targeted for those dealing with an eating disorder specifically. We're all human. We all fall short. How we fall short, though is different for a lot of us. 

I am Significant
Today's Scripture
"But God shows and clearly proves His [own] love for us by the fact that while we were still sinners, Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One) died for us." Romans 5:8 AMP


I have a hard time viewing myself as significant. Why? Because I feel so small compared to all these powerful people. All these teens that are sure of themselves, and seem to have it all together. Compared to them I feel like a beached whale floundering about on land, gasping for water to hydrate my parched scales.
There are times when I think that if I had my own successful teen business, or got straight As, or got an awesome score on the ACT, or had the best job ever, was popular, prettier, skinnier, all of the above, that that would make me a significant player in the scheme of life.
Yet having it all so I can "feel" that I am significant doesn't do me a bit of good. These earthly possessions and accomplishments and awards are materialistic and will fade away. Will the things that deteriorate over time make me any more significant that I already am in the eyes of the Lord? No! My significance is solely based on how God views me. And that's more significance than what I would acquire through a job, popularity, or good looks. 
The amazing thing is that I am significant because God LOVES me. Because Jesus died on the cross for my sins--while I was still a sinner!
Living Free says that "No matter what you have or haven't done, look at God's Word to find your reflection of significance. Nothing and no one can take that from you. You are significant because of God's great love for you--now and forever."
Take a look at a few of the verses that reflect our significance:
  • I am God's temple (the temple of the Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 3:16)
  • I am a branch of the true vine. (John 15:1, 5)
  • I have been chosen and appointed to bear fruit. (John 15:16)
  • I am seated with Christ in heaven. (Ephesians 2:6)
  • I am God's workmanship. (Ephesians 2:10)
  • I may approach God with freedom and confidence. (Ephesians 3:12)
  • I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:13)
When you start spending time in God's Word--I am sure you will find many more reflections!
Prayer (taken from Living Free)
Lord, thank you for loving me. I don't understand how I can be significant to you, but I thank you that I am
In Jesus' name ....

2 comments

  1. Lovely post Emily! Even though it seems like some people may have it all figured out and together, you never know what their life is really like when they go home. I think we all have trouble discovering our talents and finding our purpose in life. I too wish I were different sometimes and constantly have to remind myself to just be me! Nice verses, I love the last one! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Shelley. That's a very clear perspective and I truly agree with what you just said. I do find myself often being envious of people around me because they've either got good hair, straight teeth, or seem to have the perfect life all-together. But in those situations I have to remind myself that their situation beneath their seemingly perfect appearance may not be what I perceive it to be. They do a good job at hiding it, but inside they're screaming, hurting, crying, or silent. So I always try to smile at those I meet or pass by. :D

      It's nice to be ourselves. It's so much more fun when it's that way. We may be dorks, geeks, nerds, or whatever; but at least we're unique and brave enough to allow ourselves to be that way and not try to conform to the world's patterns because it's cool to be made out of stone.

      Love ya!

      Em

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.