Gonna Be A Good Life

God doesn't promise us a life without ups and downs. That being said, those ups and downs that are associated with living in a sinful world, cursed by death, disease and hunger, doesn't mean that life can't be good. 
This morning I was in this slump that I often get into when something new is about to happen, or when I have seem something that triggers negative thinking, or when I have spent way to much time in my head and not enough time out of it. I'm sure you know what I mean! 
I tried talking about it. I tried praying about it. I tried thinking about it. But the only thing that seemed to expel this black cloud over me was to let the tears fall. And fall they did: red blotchy eyes, gasping for air, upset stomach, stained cheeks, and a sore throat. 
With those tears-that dark spirit and that inability to get up and move on-God still cares. When people in the Bible struggled, God did not give up on them, either. And in Isaiah 54:10, it is clearly put: "Though the mountains may be removed and the hills may shake, But my loving kindness will not be removed from you, and My covenant of peace will not be shaken, says the Lord, for He has compassion on you."
Knowing that I could have continued to wallow in my tears for a good hour or two, I decided to at least attempt to get a journal entry in and listen to the radio to focus on something other than what I was feeling. I figured that it was better to take a step back and breathe, because either way, I was not in control of the events that happened to be conducting themselves this weekend, or even today. And so, I had to remind myself that Philippians 1:6 says that we are to be "confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in [me] will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ."
And you know what? There is a God. He's powerful. All-knowing. Loving. A Strong tower. A Shelter for the weak. A Shepherd for the lost. But He's also a divine musician. I have never envisioned Him that way. Not until today, anyway. 
The radio was on and I was mindlessly journaling when a song came on that struck a cord with me and tingled my heart strings. Good Life by OneRepublic sang volumes to my spirit and, without so much as a second thought, I felt as if my spirit rose to new volumes and the darkness was lifted. 
A blessing in the disguise of a song! And not a Christian song, mind you. Even those secular songs can have use in God's mighty hands! It is true...what Exodus 15:2 says about our Lord! He really is my song. My strength. "The LORD is my strength and song, and he is become my salvation: he is my God, and I will prepare him an habitation; my fat her's God, and I will exalt him."



Comments

  1. Awesome photography Em and nice post! It is wonderful how God takes care of us! Love the verses you shared! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isaiah is such a beautiful book, and Phil. 1:6 is one of my favorite verses ever. :) It's kind of funny that I was just noticing the other day how quickly singing to God raised my spirits... and secular songs have definitely helped me a lot at times. :D He is so incredibly amazing...

    Love those farm pictures, by the way. :) They're gorgeous...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.

Popular Posts