Seek ye first

Today was eventful and I am exhausted! The Lord really spoke to me today on a matter than He has been really trying to teach me the past few years--cast all cares/worries upon the Lord. He is the strength I need to forge ahead and conquer my fears and anxieties. And this morning I think I did just that. 

I never thought that learning how to manage stress and worry could play such a crucial part in a person's well-being, and when my dad had a dizzy spell, I guess you could say, on the way to Renfrew this morning, it became all-to-clear that stress and worry have more of an impact on people, including myself, than I realized.

In the times that we tend to stress or worry, it often feels as though-in the words of Job- "The churning inside [...] never stops; days of suffering confront [us]" (Job 30:27). Lord! if only I had a dime for every time suffering decided to come and confront me, I would be richer than Bill Gates! Alas, nothing ever comes so easily. Not even a cure for stress and worry. 

But...come to think of it, there is someone that can take those burdens and carry them for us. No matter how heavy or dirty they may be. In Matthew 11:28-30, it tells us about the sovereign grace of god and his mercy and love for those who are struggling:
"Come to me all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."
Now, I don't believe I would have ever come to this epiphany if my dad had not had to go to the hospital this morning after complaining about lightheartedness and heart palpitations (from what I could gather). Turns out it was nothing serious. All blood tests, EKG, vitals were spit-spot and showed no signs of deterioration of the heart muscle, like it would if he'd had a heart attack. So, praise God on that!


However, through that ordeal, I believe that not only was God teaching my dad something, He was also giving me a lesson on Faith. Stress and worry take a heavy toll on the body. Trust me, I am a prime example of what stress and worry can do to a person who allows it to control their life. If you're someone like me, and I hope Not!-then you may or may not have channeled those emotions into an Eating Disorder like Bulimia, or Anorexia. 


In light of all this, my lesson learned was that no matter the situation I should always seek Jesus first instead of doing it ALL ON MY OWN. In the end, the stress from the burdens I am carrying around and refusing to let the Lord handle for me, can do things to me that are destructive. Matthew 6:33 put it this way: 
"Seek ye first the kingdom of God and his righteousness; and all these things will be added unto you. Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow will take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof." 
So, yeah, that's how I spent my day-at the hospital waiting for test results and watching people being wheeled into the ER by the EMS. And to my astonishment, many of the nurses in Vanderbilt's emergency department were overweight; and the number of people needing medical care grew in numbers as the day advanced. Not a fun way to spend Valentines day at all. My heart goes out to all those sick people in the ER who were battling an illness rather than spending the this romantic, joyous holiday with loved ones.




photos via Pinterest.

Comments

Popular Posts