Do Not Merely Exist BLESSED SINGLENESS + FORSAKING IT ALL SAIL THE HIGH SEAS + BIBLE MAN ARMOR

practically perfect in every way.

February 9, 2013

Marry Poppins, an elegant Disney character whose character is polite, charming, and practically perfect in every way. She's the epitome of a perfect woman. I guess if you have an endless carpet bag and a magical umbrella you're entitled to being perfect. Oh, and let's not forget that magical bottle of medicine, and that catchy song; ever since she sang "just a spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down...", I have imagine my kerosene cough syrup to taste like watermelon bubblegum.


Aside from delicious medicine that could pass as a bedtime desert, I have often wondered what makes this nanny so dang perfect? And what is it that she has (besides the endless carpetbag, scrumptious medicine, and the ability to fly) that I don't have? I have manners, too! I can be charming if the need arises. Yet, I can't seem to figure out how to be perfect in every way.


It's confusing, though; this whole idea of perfection. We're not perfect. But we're created by a perfect God. And yet, in Song of Solomon it states: 
"I slept but my heart was awake. Listen! My lover is knocking: "Open to me, my sister, my darling, my dove, my flawless one. My head is drenched with dew, my hair with the dampness of the night" (Song of Solomon 5:2). 
Is there a difference in the perfection we, as humans, try to attain on our own every waking second of the day, and the "flawless one" that Christ sees in us as feminine beauties? Some food for thought. 

We're not perfect. We cannot amount to anything deserving of the sacrifice God made when He sent His Son to die for us. Sounds harsh, doesn't it? Even women are not immune to the fate of this world. But, just like Adam who was created to be the warrior, women were created for a purpose all their own. To be blossoms in a desert land; wallflowers with a flawless beauty that is theirs to discover and to share. 

I wonder...did Marry Poppins ever stop to think about what made her so perfect in every way? Was she born with it? Did she come into it be a miraculous revelation? Is this idea that she's so perfect the key to such confidence? Maybe...just maybe...if we all start believing we're perfect IN GOD'S EYES, like Marry did in her own (with a smidgen of humility), then we might have her confidence, too. We might be more bold and less wishy-washy. We might be more courageous and less scared to follow our dreams and reach for the moon (the stars are always there to catch you if you don't make it that far!). 


So what's the big deal with Marry's perfection? Her captivating confidence, that's what. I wish I had a bottle so I could capture her motivation, spontaneity, and self-confidence. If I could, I'd drink it as fast as I could so I could live on Cloud 9, too. I guess, since Marry's confidence cannot be bottled up and recycled, I am going to have to go searching within myself to dig out my own confident woman who is practically perfect in every way. And by perfect, I mean how God sees me. 

1 comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.