Do Not Merely Exist BLESSED SINGLENESS + FORSAKING IT ALL SAIL THE HIGH SEAS + BIBLE MAN ARMOR

at home

January 11, 2012

I am at home today trying to stay busy with the chores my mom has left for me to do. I know I have already posted this morning about the things I am thankful for today, but I am blogging merely to occupy myself while I take a break. Of all the things I have to do today, I decided to test out a new cookie and bread recipe that is both gluten free and dairy free.

Finding delicious gluten free recipes for baked goods can be a trifle. The recipe either consist of a strange flavor, rawness, an interesting texture, so utterly flawed the thing you intended to bake is beyond recognition, or that cookie that was supposed to look like a cookie looks more like Mount. Rushmore instead. It's difficult to get satisfying results, and even harder to get that delectable taste we're used to getting from foods that contain gluten.

So how did my cookies and bread fare? Let's not go there with the whole bread thing. Been there done that; I don't know why I keep trying to follow bread recipes when I know they're not going to turn out. My hopes are dashed. This is why I am going to stick to using King Arthur's magical bread mix. No, really. It's magical. If you've ever had Udi's bread you know that's stuff is the bomb, but compared to the amazing of King Arthur's bread mix...well, let's just say Udi's doesn't compare.

As for the cookies. My Aunt Shae actually made some out of Pamela's yellow cake mix that was far better than the ones I made (crispy goodness!!!!), but they're fairly good considering they were made from scratch-no help from prepackaged magic. The cookie recipe was actually simple compared to others I have tried in the past. The dough is bitter (no cookie dough eating here). And it's lacking in sweetness a bit (needs chocolate!); or you could do what I did and smother them with powdered sugar right after they come out of the oven.


For one of the better sugar cookies I have found, I used a recipe from a small booklet called Gluten-Free Baking by Esther N. Byler. The prep time for this recipe is minimal, as well as the cook time. So, so simple! And the best part about them is that they bake in whatever shape you form them into. And, if you add just the right amount of moisture (you'll need to add a few teaspoons of water or milk because the dough can be a bit crumbly), you can roll it out and cut the dough into cute shapes! A truly cool sugar cookie.


WHEAT FREE (GLUTEN FREE) SUGAR COOKIES
  • 1/2 c. butter
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • 2/3 c. raw sugar (I used turbinado sugar)
  • 2 t. vanilla
  • 2 T. lemon juice (worked just fine without it, though it might have helped with the crumbliness of my dough!)
  • 3 t. baking powder
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 1/2 c. rice flour
  • 1/3 c. potato starch
  • 1/4 c. tapioca starch (I used cornstarch) 
  • 1 t. x-gum
  • 1 t. salt
Combine butter, honey, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice. Beat until smooth. Add eggs and beat well. If not smooth enough, add water (or milk) by tablespoonful until right thickness. Can be made into chocolate chip cookies or different flavors. Bake at 325 degrees for 10-12 minutes, or until done. (No greasing of pans are needed). 
Guess I'll get back into exploring the semi-uncharted world of gluten free dining. I wonder...could I eventually make Date Pinwheels? Oooh, that would be mighty fine. Whelp, gotta go.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.