The Dragonfly Project

I am passionate about a lot of things. But lately my passion has been for crochet. I started crocheting this past summer after begin inspired by two super amazing women from my brother's football team. It wasn't long before I was intrigued, and itching to attempt such a "difficult" feat.


After searching on YouTube (I love YouTube) I started doing the basic single crochet stitch and was instantly "hooked". Ever since I have been making cozies for mugs and laptops, cowls, wash clothes, bath puffs, and coasters.


If you didn't know, there are some ED treatment centers that are integrating certain crafts into their system as a way to help girls gain a sense of accomplishment. It's also a good way to distress and get a handle on anxiety issues. (Maybe that's why I have become a crazed crocheter...?). 


Believe it or not, it really does work wonders, because it has allowed me to get lost in something nondestructive and completely positive. I wouldn't have made a whole five days without it. It is even helping me through my relapse rut. (Although having every-other-day talks with my parents really helps the most). 


Since I have become kind of addicted to crocheting, I've decided to start up my own little cause dedicated to all those girls who suffer from Bulimia. One of the main factors that I am dealing with as a side-effect of my Bulimia (although I think girls with anorexia deal with this more frequently)-- I have other issues on top of my ED that result in a painful intolerance to the cold.


Thus I have decided to crochet afghans for those suffering with Bulimia. I want to be able to ave the afghans given directly to girls suffering with Bulimia, but also those with Anorexia if all possible. (I would never deny anyone the pleasure of being able to stay warm, even if they don't have quiet the same issues as myself. Anorexics deserve to be shown love just as much as Bulimics do!).


So, I am hoping that Mercy Ministries will allow me to crochet afghans and give them directly to the girls in their facilities. If that isn't possible, maybe they'll at least allow me to drop them off to be given to the girls by the staff.  I'm awaiting an answer from Mercy Ministries, but I am hopeful. Not only would this benefit me in the long run--doing something for others--but it'll help girls who need love and are disparate to stay warm.


I have named this crochet for a cure: The Dragonfly Project. Due to my fascination with these beautiful creatures and what they symbolize, it only seemed fitting that this crocheting for a cause be named after these intricate and marvelous insects. 






If you would like to be a part of The Dragonfly Project by crocheting and/or knitting an afghan, you are more than welcome to email me at onelife.92@comcast.net for more specific details. 

And if you aren't a knitter or crocheter, then I encourage you to make a donation to help those of us who do know how to crochet and/or knit. You will be making a positive contribution to helping girls feel warmer and more loved!

Thank you. :D




Comments

  1. I think that's a great idea! I don't really know how to crochet, but I know how to knit! I'll send you an email! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.

Popular Posts