Love is Life's Motivator

Good morning to you all. Once again it’s time to dive into God’s word and explore the meaning of LOVE! Let’s start off with a prayer, shall we?
Gracious Heavenly Father,
I come to you today as an act of submission. Lord, I fall down and lay our crown at your feet. Take it as my offering. Today, Lord, use this day to further show my what love realy means and how I am to apply it in my life.
Amen
LOVE is life’s biggest motivator. Money, drugs, alcohol, sex, even food, can be a love that motivates us in our daily lives and draws us away from Christ. For a mother, her love for her child is her motivation. For a Pastor, his love for his congregation is his motivation. For a Soldier, the love for his country is his motivation. For a teacher, the love of her students is her motivation. And for a Bulimic, the love of food is their motivation.  
In 1 Cor 13:4-7 it tells us this about what true love is: “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.  It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres”.
Who do you know that exemplifies these characteristics of love? I know I cannot even begin to obtain this level of love while submersed in an eating disorder. There are too many variables prohibiting me from experiencing this type of love. It’s almost as if there is this Rose Quartz Bell Jar over me, blocking out the God’s love rays. But, in reality, I am the one that is prohibiting myself from experiencing a love so fulfilling. 
Being Bulimic myself (and hoping to heal from it by the renewal of my mind), I have encountered a catastrophic characteristic within myself that I knew existed, but not to the extent that it is now-ANGER. When Bulimics binge and purge (B/P), they end up really messing up our hormones and electrolytes. This can be serious, if they're not careful, “Electrolytes are vital for proper electric signals in the heart. One of the most serious dangers of electrolyte imbalance in bulimia is heart arrhythmia (irregular heartbeat). A heart problem is not only one of the dangers of bulimia; it is a leading cause of death associated with Bulimia Nervosa” (TREE).
What I am trying to get at is that when people B/P, their hormones get all out of whack and, because of this, their emotions are way out of line. I’ve noticed this within myself. Since the two years I’ve been bulimic, the anger that I’ve kept suffocating inside of me has inadvertently found it’s way out….  
The Love Dare states that anger “can fuel hatred in his heart until he feels like attacking his enemy” (2). This doesn’t mean that the hatred we feel will propel us to “attack” and “kill” bulimia (which is in no way our friend. And yes, it is our enemy). But that’s not what it’s talking about here. Actually, what it is talking about is that anger fuels hatred, and this hatred can subsequently be directed towards those we love and those we don’t. 
Unlike Anger, which is the complete opposition of the definition of LOVE, love is the spark that plants that characteristic of kindness, the kind of selflessness that causes a man to “lay down his life for his friend” (The Love Dare 2).
Another characteristic that goes against the definition of LOVE is selfishness. And selfishness, according to The Love Dare ”drives a woman to tighten her grip and harden her resources” (2). The Bible mentions that those who are selfish “defies all sound judgment” (Proverbs 18:1 ),  will “find disorder and every evil practice” (James 3:16-17), and are “without understanding” (2 Corinthians 10:22).
But love inspires a person to “open […] their hands and give sacraficially” (The Love Dare 2). Love is the purest and most powerful motivator. Why? Because love gives rise to “courage [in a] coward and wisdom [in a] fool” (2). Eating disorders, mind you, are powerful forces in themselves. It’s hard to break the pattern once it’s been set. I believe that because of my lack of understanding about what LOVE really means, and truly living a loving, Godly life, Bulimia has, in a sense, turned into that love that I’ve been trying to find.
But instead of Bulimia beign the finger in the dam, keeping the flood of paintful emotions from breaking through the thinly built cement barier, LOVE needs to be that bandage, that “finger in the dam”. Because when love invades our hearts, “we are empowered to endure deeper pain, willingly pay a greater cost, and run risks to your reputation for the sake of another”(2).

Comments

Popular Posts