Do not be anxious about anything

October 17, 2011

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."—Philippians 4:6-7  
***
Lately, the world appeared to be flying at my head with gale force winds. Emotions I had inadvertently disposed to the back of my mind had escaped, and were maliciously avenging their captivity with their raiser sharp teeth and spiny, seaweed-like tentacles. 
 With my legs wrapped tightly by their suction cupped tentacles, I am forced to fight, while being pulled ruthlessly to the bottom of the ocean. Up above, to my right, is a ship with glistening white sails and silver rails. I swim frantically, still being pulled under by my adversary, towards the ship in search of solitude, safety, and peace. Upon arriving at the ship, I am faced with the decision as to whether or not I will board the ship: deny the spiny tentacles power over me, or surrender to their strikingly horrific power. I don't want to drown. But, I'm emotionally and physically exhausted by the swim and the fight, that giving up seems nice. 
Yet, just as I am about to surrender, someone jumps in after me and, without hesitation, reaches out to me and grabs hold of my arm. It's strong. And I feel safe. Now I don't have to fight a losing battle on my own. At present, there is hope and an instant ambiance of peaceful bliss and security. 
God is a merciful, loving, bold God. He's that hero that brings peace, while taking upon his shoulder the burdens of my weary soul and wounded heart. Oh, those suction formed tentacles! How they pursue me! They constantly plague me, causing me grief, unrest, and a bout of indigestion. The evil that tags along with the spindly suction-cupped twigs appear to be a dark, hopeless, insensitive tidal wave. I must get away! 
While God is still having to rescue me from those spiny tentacles that threaten to drag my under the relentless waves of the ocean, He is one thing I will not fight. Letting Him hold me in the palm of His hands, sweep me off my feet, and pull me to safety, has been the best decision I have ever made. I'm still thinking that after all the times He's looked out for me and will evidently save me again.  
It may not make any sense-all sorts of emotions and thoughts are swarming imperviously around in my head-but to me, the love and grace God has revealed to my has been utmost comforting to me in my trials. Which brings me to the very reason for the title of my post: to find peace and happiness, we all must first travel (sometimes multiple times) through the wilderness. Many wandering aimlessly for days until reaching the promised land, or gain that peace and happiness we are all in need of and only God can provide.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.