modesty 101; vol. 2: Shorts

May 17, 2011

I love wearing shorts, even in the winter. I'll go into town wearing a big furry coat with shorts and I get thousands of stares and unguarded whispers. Oh...you think it's because my shorts are too short and immodest!? 


Ha! No, it's usually because my sense of "winter fashion" is always way over some people's heads, because half of me got them memo that it was frigged outside and the other half of me forgot to watch the news! 


Today's topic is SHORTS: how short is too short for shorts? That's what we're going to find out. 


Now, I know some of you won't agree at all about wearing shorts because they show too much skin, and that's fine. But, for those of us who choose to wear shorts, I think it's a good time-especially since summer is almost here-to discuss or point out the many flaws shorts have and how to avoid immodesty (while still looking good!).


I see London, I see France...I can almost see this girls' underpants! Not the route to take when trying to maintain that modesty, while still looking fashionable. Seeing underwear and other unsightly parts of the body-that should be kept covered-is repulsive. And even though some girls think this sort of thing is HOT, it's really not. Guys may like it, but let's be real here! Be a lady and dress appropriately. Later on the guys will thank you for allowing them to see you for how beautiful your heart is...not by the things you wear to direct attention to yourself in the WRONG way!

Well, what do we have here? As first sight, some might think these shorts are super cute and that they display the three girls' legs tolerably well. But, in my humble opinion, I think these shorts are too short for anyone to be wearing. These shorts come way above the knee and completely by-pass the thigh and move right on to the crotch area (where no short-short should ever venture to explore!). Bring the level of those shorts down a bit girlfriends!
Um, I can barely find the shorts! Where are they? One tip: If I can't see your shorts because your top is covering them, that means they're-you guessed it-TOO SHORT! Keep 'em where we can seem 'em!

Astonishingly, this pair of shorts are the longest, most modest I've been able to dig up on the grand Internet without any booty showing or the threat of crotch exposer flying at my face. I am exasperated by the number of slutty short-short styles that are out there. Do they not make anything worth wearing these days? Or, is it all about looking like trash because that's the style? (Don't like the shirt, either!).
We're getting there ladies! It's OK if you still don't agree. I probably would wear these, but they'd have to fit perfectly and not ride up too high on my thigh. I have long legs and they're all muscle, so these might not be right for me. Someone who's shorter and has a slimmer leg might be able to pull this off. Still looking for my version of the perfectly modest short!
Just throwing this in here. This, in my opinion, is a good way to make an immodest pair of shorts into a more respectable item of clothing. Put leggings on underneath. They did it in the 80s! And the leggings can be knee length and any color you want. Fun.
Tadda! This is it-the perfect short! I think it may be too tight, but you can always adjust the sizing to get the right fit. Not too tight, remember! And where the hem of the short falls is right up my alley: just above the knee and right below the thigh. I love Bermuda Shorts and think they are an excellent way to wear shorts without over exposing yourself and maintain that lovely modesty!
So, what do you think? Comment and let me know what you're thoughts are on wearing shorts. I'd love to hear what you have to say.

10 comments

  1. I totally agree with you on this, Emily!

    Bermuda shorts are the only ones I wear. (Except for dance class, then I wear shorter ones--but that is with tights.)

    I have found that after a pair of pants get holes in the knees that it is time to turn them into shorts. In my opinion, that is the best way to get a pair of comfortable and modest shorts. =) Plus it is not expensive--you already have the pants and it only takes 10min to turn them into shorts!

    Love in Christ,
    Emily Grace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome sauce! I love it :) I'm not one for short shorts either. I prefer the longer style...I do have a few pairs of shorter ones that I wear every now and then when I'm just around my family though...especially since it gets REALLY hot where I live and its kinda nice to have something light and short that will encourage a nice tan XD lolz but only around family...I don't feel comfortable in them around other folks.

    Squeaks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Emily! I own a few short-shorts, but they're longer than the one in the first pic! :) I agree, even if they aren't short, if you can't see them that's a problem! And I also think shorts are made way too short, so it gets hard when you go shopping. Next time I'm in need of a new pair of shorts, I'll try to find ones similar to the ones in the 5th and last picture. Thanks for sharing this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post and the commentary between the shorts haha! I am not a big short-wearer cpnsiodering I'm quite tall it is hard to find shorts that are long enough for me. :(

    Blessings,
    Schy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I share the same views on shorts as you, maybe it's an "Emily" thing. haha I also have the same problem as you do when buying shorts: my 6 years of gymnastics, 3 years of Tae Kwon Do, and 7 years of soccer have made my long legs muscular. Most shorts these days don't really accommodate muscular-legged girls. *sigh*

    Thanks for sharing your views on this!

    In Christ,
    Emily Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this series of posts! :) Shorts are a big issue. Nothing gets me more than a girl strutting around in shorts that don't even cover any section of the leg and thinking she's hot stuff. Heh, yeah...bit of a touchy subject. :)
    Sorry to be bothering you with questions, but in your comment, you said I'd won two items, but it sounds like one winner wins one item in your In Grace We Move post...?
    Oh, and I wanted to thank you for hosting this blog party. Do you mind if I answer the questions just for fun even though it's over?
    Thanks & sorry for the long comment! :) Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so agree! I was just pondering a good length for shorts yesterday. :)
    I am short and rather small, so it's pretty easy for me to wear a little shorter ones without being immodest. I also really like to wear fun colored leggings under my shorts! Especially if it's a little chilly. :)

    Love and blessings,
    ~bree

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! On my blog I'm going to be publishing guest posts once a month. I would love to have you enter one of your posts. If you're interested, the form is on my sidebar and I would be happy to answer any questions!

    www.inletsandharbors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks girls! I feel so ashamed for not contacting each one of you. Grrr. Know that I appreciate all your comments and strive to visit and comment on each and every one of your blogs. :D

    Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks this way! Whew. ;o

    Em

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely agree with you on this, Em! I would totally wear the shorts in that last picture! ;D

    We also have to remember that sometimes the shorts might look okay when we're standing up, because they come down a bit longer, but when we ladies sit down, sometimes our shorts come up further, making them innapropriate. Also, if shorts are too baggy they can be immodest, if we're not too careful-- and we may not even notice-- because they open up quite a bit when we sit down, and people can see right up them, all the way to our underwear. lol :) So while I don't think it's right to wear tight, tight shorts, it's still immodest to wear them super baggy, at certain times. :)

    I wear my shorts not too tight, not too loose; usually right at the knee. And sometimes it's hard to find that balance between too tight, too loose, too short, etc. but being modest is SO worth it! :D

    Great post, Em! And perfect timing, since-- like you said-- summer is just around the bend! ;D

    xoxo
    Love,
    Eldarwen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.