Today I am me and you are you

February 20, 2013

Outside my window, this very morning, chirps a delightful Robin. It has been scornfully long since I have heard a Robin tweet a beautiful tune. In fact, it's been entirely too long since I have heard anything that has brought joy to my heart....
Tweeting it's melodious and graceful song, the Robin flutters her wings and struts her flamboyant copper chest.  She sits on my window seal soaking up the powerful rays of sun as they poke through the dense clouds of promising snow. I can't help but imagine the Robin's delight in the simplest thing like the sun. How her song gets louder and more spirited as the rays get larger and brighter. She seems to be overjoyed with the promise of another spring and the warmth yet to come.
Oh, how I long to feel what she feels! The sun beaming down upon my back, goose bumps roving all over my body, and the wind whipping at my nose filling my lungs with all that is fresh and sweet.
However, I almost always long to feel more: a gentle touch and embrace, a kind word, a valued thought, a peace of sound advice, a comforting gesture. I long to delight in the simple things...to have that urge to sing my heart out with such spirit that I would be almost afraid of my lungs bursting from my chest.
I want to feel the freedom and independence my friendly little Robin feels. I find myself wanting to trade places with her. I want her wings. I know this isn't going to happen. It is an unrealistic notion, and it is silly of me to think that trading placed with a bird would somehow miraculously free me from the hurt, pain, and guilt I've been feeling lately.


It is not the remedy I've been seeking. And I know it. How was that going to solve anything--by running away from who I was? Isn't there another way to feel that freedom, independence, confidence, and happiness that Mrs. Robin displayed to me openly on the window seal? How am I ever going to feel whole again? I long to be like that Robin...so secure in who I am. Unlike the Robin who knows what her purpose is, I desire to understand my plot in life and where my place is, how I am going to be used, where I am to serve.
 I realize that I am not going to ever be like that Robin on my window seal. I am not going to sprout wings and fly away. Or tweet some elegant, classical tune. I just can't do it. It isn't natural. I can't run away from who I am just because I want to be something or someone else!

Instead, the short-lived visit from my happy friend made me realize that I have something better than wings or the talent to chirp...I am a child of God. He made me unique and is highly capable of turning my pain into joy, and turning my guilt into happiness.
God wants me to be proud of who I am. And this goes for you too. Like the Robin who could care less if she were a large and majestic Blue Jay, or brightly colored Cardinal, she delights in nothing less than being exactly who God created her to be and designed her to do. She's confident, secure, independent, free.


So, if Mrs. Robin feels this way, what's her secret? She doesn't worry about what others think of her, nor does she worry about trying to be someone or something she's not. And we shouldn't either!  
God's love for you and me went so far as to make us all unique. No two people are the same. We should embrace this. We should celebrate our unique individuality--chocolate cake anyone?   
"For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother’s womb.I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, and my soul knows it very well. My frame was not hidden from You, when I was made in secret, And skillfully wrought in the depths of the earth; Your eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Your book were all written the days that were ordained for me, when as yet there was not one of them" (Psalm 139:13-16). 

"Be yourself. Above all, let who you are, what you are, what you believe, shine through every sentence you write,every piece you finish"(John Blake). 
"Every man's life is a fairy tale written by God's finger" (Hans Christian Andersen).
We are so much more than just individuals with uniqueness, we are children of God (John 1:12), friends forever and a day with Him (John 15:15), justified (Romans 5:1), we are united and one with Him (1 Corinthians 6:17), we belong to Him (1 Corinthians 6:19-20), we are redeemed and forgiven (Colossians 1:13-14)....we are complete in Christ (Colossians 2:9-10)!!!!

I think I am going to need a life supply chocolate cake, because this is a tremendously huge cause for a life-long celebration. We are in Christ and He is in us. Hallelujah. We are so much more than the pain, hurt, and guilt we harbor inside. We are so much more than the clothes we wear, the color of our skin, the color of our hair, how we think, talk, walk, and act.


None of that matters to God. But what really matters is that we accept who we are and love ourselves the way we love Christ. We are His temple and part of the Body of Christ...to try and be someone or something we are not doesn't allow us to live freely for Christ. We are to consumed with ourselves that we fall short, forget what path we're on and get lost.
 This year, I am going to live my life by being me, Emily Shae Kirk, and not someone else. I will not be a wannabe, but a should-be...a "Should-Be-Loving-Myself-For Who-God-Designed-Me-To-Be". I am going to grow closer to the Lord and start loving myself the way He loves me.


He loves me for my flaws, quick temper, and sudden outbursts of insanity. He loves me that way! And I am going to work on loving me that way, too. No more wishing I were taller, skinnier, prettier, etc., I'm gonna work on being the ultimate daughter, sister, friend, and me I can be.

Do it. Be yourself. Embrace the girl God made you to be. Stop hiding and start living! See ya on the other side of the rainbow. It's brighter there, promise!

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.