You May Know Me Better There

December 11, 2010


“Please, Aslan,” said Lucy. “Before we go, will you tell us when we can come back to Narnia again? Please. And oh, do, do, do make it soon.”
“Dearest,” said Aslan very gently, “you and your brother will never come back to Narnia.”
“Oh, Aslan!!” said Edmund and Lucy both together in despairing voices.
“You are too old, children,” said Aslan, “and you must begin to come close to your own world now.”
“It isn't Narnia, you know,” sobbed Lucy. “It's you. We shan't meet you there. And how can we live, never meeting you?”
“But you shall meet me, dear one,” said Aslan.
“Are are you there too, Sir?” said Edmund.
“I am,” said Aslan. “But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader – Chapter 16

*****
This quote is from the book, but the context and similarity are in the movie as well; it bears a greater meaning that I ever really cared to realize. I have always been a lover for the Chronicles of Narnia, and a sucker for Aslan. He may seem like a cute and very realistic Lion with a loud, powerful ROAR, and a fluffy mane, but behind this wild animal that speaks is a deeper meaning. And I understood this, really, for the first time when I watched the Voyage of the Dawn Treader yesterday afternoon. (Believe it or not, I learned, er, realized a lot of things during that movie.)

While some may not have caught on, it was as if something was jumping out at me as Aslan spoke to Lucy and Edmund: “But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.” 

This reminds me so much of what Jesus Christ did for us! He came as a little babe, walked the face of the earth while preaching for 33 years, and then laid down His life for us: Sinners. Vagabonds. Unworthy. Jesus stayed on earth for a little while for the same reason Aslan had Lucy and Edmund come to Narnia for a while--so we could know Him and experience Him better in our personal lives. 

C. S. Lewis offers such a magical rendition of what Christ does for us, and what He did do for us. While some may not realize it, this movie is oozing with Christianity. They may not want to admit it, and they may think that Aslan doesn't represent Christ, but he does. Just like Aslan, Christ is our protector, defender, friend, savior, and redeemer.


Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.