Trends: A Pure Romance?

I was in the bedroom with my sister one afternoon. My mom, dad, and brother were downstairs watching TV. While my sister and I were in our room (I was blogging and she was dancing to some techno-pop-romance song), the realization of something struck me. I turned to face my sister, with of course, a blinding look of genius on my face, and asked her in excitement:

"Steph, why is it that girls like this type of music so much?" She looked at me with a sideways glance and thought a moment. Apparently the question had never come to her mind (like it hadn't to me until just then), and she answered:

"Oh, I don't know. I suppose it's because of this unrealistic notion of romance that so many girls are desperate to attain." She turned away from me and resumed her dancing. Obviously, the thought wasn't of much importance. With her being a romantic girl, herself, I totally understood her infatuation with these types of songs, but what I didn't understand was why girls flocked to romantic music so much?

"Funny, huh; that so many girls swoon over the singer of the romantic lullaby?" I chuckled. And Steph only nodded. She knew I would end of speaking again, so she kept quiet. "It amazes me that teenage girls would fantasize and build their whole life around a song. Silly!"

"Uhuh." Steph mentioned to say before she put on another song and started singing along.

It happened to be one of my favorite artists, Josh Groban. Now, granted he does sing romantic and fanciful love ballads, but there is something about his music that is unlike that of any artist I have run across. And with a sister who is always on the hunt for the next best romance song, it's not that hard to do, believe me! My sister likes to listen to 'Remember When It Rained' and 'Don't Give Up', but I am strangely attracted to his more mellow, softer ballads of romance. On in particular that I always enjoy listening to, is his almost mournful 'My Confession'.

 Until recently, upon questioning the reason for a girl's infatuation with love songs, I have come to realize that while most songs sing of break-ups, revenge and so on, Josh Groban's music, and many others, has a different aspect about it that I never really paid much attention to before. His music is peaceful and elegant, easy to listen to. Josh Groban's music also has something that few others do: pure, romantic love. Here are some lyrics to a few of his more popular songs :

 From 'When You Say You Love Me'
When you say you love me
The world goes still, so still inside and
When you say you love me
For a moment, there’s no one else alive

From 'Don’t Give Up' (My Favorite!)
Everybody wants to be understood
Well I can hear you
Everybody wants to be loved
Don’t give up
Because you are loved

From 'In Her Eyes'
I am not a hero
I am not an angel
I am just a man
Man who’s trying to love her
Unlike any other
In her eyes I am 

 From "You're Still You"
Through the darkness
I can see your light
And you will always shine
And I can feel your heart in mine
Your face I've memorized
I idolize just you 

Now, Owl City (yes, we all love Owl City...you know you do!), is also one of my favorites to listen to! And Adam Young's music has become a sensational hit amongst teen girls.
 Here is an interesting and eye opening interview Adam Young did with ChristianityToday: 

ChristianityToday: What's the source of your creativity?

Adam Young: Faith and imagination. Faith is the reason I do what I do, imagination is the fuel that keeps the creativity flowing. The Lord Jesus Christ is my reason for creating and I have nothing but thanks and gratitude toward him for being allowed to do what I do, and ultimately, seize my wildest dreams as if they were just there waiting for me. 

*Skipping various questions not pertaining to the post*..... piptididilydo....falalalala!

ChristianityToday: Did you set out to write music to appeal to teen girls, or is that just how it turned out?

Adam Young: Haha, I'm afraid I didn't really pay attention. I just write the music I would like to hear as a listener myself, so needless to say I was pretty shocked when teen girls connected with my music so well. Somehow I feel it's a bit too "random" for that age demographic. But I'm certainly not complaining!

His music, you must admit is random, and is very different. To the untrained ear, it's a bunch of uncomprehending babble, but to me, it tells a story. And the story behind Adam Young's music is that of beauty, and yes, if I must say it, purity. His songs are clean... But what makes them such a sensational hit with the girls? 


From “Hot Air Balloon"
We wrote a prelude to our own fairytale.
And bought a parachute at a church rummage sale
And with a mean sewing machine and miles of thread
We sewed the day above L.A. in navy and red
.

From “Vanilla Twilight”
I’ll watch the night turn light-blue
But it’s not the same without you
Because it takes two to whisper quietly
The silence isn’t so bad
‘Til I look at my hands and feel sad
‘Cause the spaces between my fingers
Are right where yours fit perfectly
 
From "Meteor Shower"
I can finally see that You're right there beside me
I am not my own, for I have been made new
Please don't let me go I desperately need You
I am not my own, for I have been made new
Please don't let me go I desperately need You

Adam Young's music possesses this abstract, intricate and innocent child-like quality that focuses on cute and shameless love. Isn't Owl City wonderful?

I feel as though I have to be the party-pooper here for just a moment. Lets do some comparisons, to let’s say, that of Lady Gaga and her song "Bad Romance"-- I want your ugly/ I want your disease/ I want your everything/ As long as it’s free/ I want your love/ Love-love-love/ I want your love....

I have to say, this song is trashy and disgustingly sexual. It's depressing and dark. It's also sad to think that so many girls listen to a song that talks about a "bad romance" as if it's Hot. It's NOT! What does she have? What do her songs contain that make thousands of girls (and guys), flock to her as if she were a goddess? She's a mess. That's just putting it nicely.

I hear talk about Lady Gaga, Josh Groban, and Owl City from practically everyone I know. But, who's to say that (while Lady Gaga is the "It Girl" at the moment with her scandalous music), that pure, good, clean music won't be the 'next big thing'?

Music, such as Josh Groban and Owl City, seems to be steadily rising as a trend among teen listeners. And, well, even if it's not Christian music, it beats the trashy, inappropriate music that gives romance a bad rap; painting an ill omen on the word "Love".  Let’s hope this positive music keeps coming and that its popularity gets bigger!

Comments

Popular Posts