Secular Music

Listening to: Here (In your Arms) by HellpGoodbye
Line Love: "Papa! Papa, don't, I'll say anything! Please, papa, I'll say anything you want, tell me what you want me to say and I'll say it... Papa please don't go!"--from The Patriot; 2000
Hello my pretties! How are you all doing this afternoon? Well, before I move on to what I planned to post on, I wanted to respond real quickly in regards to the recent Twilight post I did a while back. A few of you pointed out to me that some 'weak' guys can be more of a man than the buff, good-looking hunks. And this is true; yet, I never thought about putting that into my post! *shakes head* I thought for sure I had it all covered, but there are always things I can do to improve my posts. Thanks to all who pointed that out. :)


Anyhow, getting onto a different subject! I thought today I would post about what I believe about music. Music is beautiful and calming, it feeds our emotions and makes us feel good! Some music is glorifying to the Lord, while other music, is well, far from glorifying. 


Music is everywhere in our society. And the progression of music over the years has become trashy and meaningless.  We have gotten so far away from music that is uplifting and meaningful that it's almost impossible to find decent music to listen to without it having references to kissing, sex, etc. Not exactly inspiring, uplifting and motivating, is it? Nope. And it sure isn't pleasing to God. Music like that is not what I'd consider PRAISE music, would you?


Think about the words write by David in Psalm 150:
"PRAISE the LORD! Praise God in His sanctuary; Praise Him in His mighty expanse. Praise Him for His mighty deeds; Praise Him according to His excellent greatness. Praise Him with trumpet sound; Praise Him with harp and lyre. Praise Him with timbrel and dancing; Praise Him with stringed instruments and pipe. Praise Him with loud cymbals; Praise Him with resounding cymbals. Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD!" 
 We are to PRAISE the Lord, praise him with music and dance. But with Today's music, which has become, basically, music that soils the virginity and innocence (whatever we might have left...if any at all) of the mind. Media doesn't take into consideration that the things we hear, we end up acting out sooner or later.


It's all subconscious.


The music we listen to effects how we act towards our friends, family, God and in public. If we listen to bad music, odds are we will ooze with the disruptive, disorderly, and defiant side effects. And this is not how we are to PRAISE the Lord; to praise Him in defiance is, in every meaning of the word, disrespectful to the Love and Grace He has given us!


We have veered far from music that feeds the soul with good, uplifting themes and lyrics. In the Bible, it states that we are to put into our bodies that which is pure and pleasing to God. How do we ever expect to be the Christian we want to be; act like the Christian we hope to be, and influence the world like we should when all we do is listen to that horrible degrading music of the modern era? 


I know, that seems a little over the top. And I'm not saying all modern music is bad, but most of it is.


It states clearly in Colossians 3:16 that we are to: "Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord" and not with perverse music with foul lyrics and a satanic vibe. 


I do listen to secular music. My whole MP3 has modern music on it, but I choose to refrain from the types of secular music that would affect my ability to work for the Glory of God's Kingdom.


I have, to be honest, listened to Lady Gaga and other singer like her, but after listening to those songs for the second or third time, I began to pick up on the little things hidden in the lyrics, and it began to make me feel very uncomfortable. 


If I have to listen to secular music, I prefer Selena Gomez, Miranda Cosgrove, Big Time Rush, Ally and AJ, Rascal Flatts, Jon McLaughin, Josh Turner, Kenny G, and Michael Bublé. Of course, I listen to others as well, but those are at the top if my list. 


As you can see, I am not at all against listening to secular music. But here's the catch: I don't encourage listening to any secular music that has a dirty message to it. Yeah, it's okay to listen to secular music that is clean and presents a clean and uplifting message (whether it's about God or not), but you have to be careful when listening to this kind of music.


However, not only do I prefer to listen to Christian music, but God does as well. He doesn't encourage us to listen to that secular filth. And if He did, then I am sure He would have said to in the Bible. And yet all we ever read from the Bible is how we should give Him praise! 


Take Psalm 96:1 for example:   
"Oh, sing to the Lord a new song! Sing to the Lord, all the earth."
 Besides, when listening to Christian music, you by-pass all the crazy secular junk that tends to clog our sensory with crud and groggy emotions. Why bog yourself down with those not-so-positive songs that are trashy and sexual? It's not pleasing to God. 


But, if you are like me and like to have a variety of music in your library, try choosing music that has clean lyrics, but the same vibe/ beat you like to listen to. If you are looking for clean alternatives to your secular music likes, then you may want to check THIS site out.


P.s. I listen to secular music, too. And I understand that NOT ALL secular music is bad. But there are some songs/bands/singers that I know are vulgar and inappropriate (Lady Gaga for example).  But we should be leery of what songs we choose to listen to. Whether you want to accept it or not, we do listen subconsciously to the lyrics in the song...so you're not always listening to just 'beat'. There's more to it than that! However, there is nothing in the Bible that says we can't listen to secular music--Classical music, if you think about it, is secular, but it's not bad--it just says that we need to listen to music that is pleasing to God..music that gives Him Praise. Listen to what you want...I am not condemning you in any way for listening to secular music, so don't take this post as that. I'm only stating my own opinion.

Comments

  1. pretty please... dont be mad at me. But...
    I listen to seculat music. And I think that God cares a little bit more about the heart. I listen to secular music. I DO NOT listen to music with trashy words... I DO NOT listen to music by trashy people. but not everythign I listen to are Christian lyrics. Some of the things I listen to talks about love... and things like that. But they're not vulgure, or innapropriate. I just enjoy it. I think God looks at our hearts and knows where we're at. And knows thats its not pulluting us. Yes there is "bad" music out there... and some people allow it to affect them. I don't know... comment back on my blog with your response, I'd love to hear it. And I'm jsut talking to you like a sister, I'm not trying to be mean or pushy.
    I love you girl, you're amazing! :)


    Love,
    Bleah

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.

Popular Posts