What I Think

August 12, 2010

I love watching the History Channel. The biographies, bibliographies and other in-depth studies that they produce and air on their channel are educational and informative. 

However, there comes a point in time where I wonder whether the information they are giving is actually true. How does it compare to what the bible says? What is the hidden agenda? Is any of what they are saying actually truth, or is it all man-made fiction?

I really wonder. That's why I am very leery about the programs I watch on the History Channel, especially the ones on Christianity. I watch them to know what other believe, but some of it is so far fetched, that it's not worth wasting my time watching all that hullabaloo.

A few nights ago, I was watching me newest favorite: Chasing Mummies (click on the link. It will send you to a YouTube video that will give you a better understanding of what I'm talking about down below. Watch the whole thing...it's not long). To let you in on a little secret...I love mummies!

 I have always dreamed of being an archeologist or paleontologist just so I could study the ancient history of Egyptian mummies. It's fascinating the way the Egyptians mummified the dead--they were amazingly smart people for their time.

Well, along with liking mummies (I'm a little creepy, I know!), I love to listening to the Legendary Egyptologist Dr. Zahi Hawass. He has some great information; every time there is a special on mummies, and he's in it, I'm watching it with my eyes glued to the TV set. 

But, recently I have began to question his knowledge (or, I should say his information; his facts). I have began to wonder if everything this man says is even true. And what sparked this question is the fact that Dr. Hawass believes wholeheartedly that the men and women who build the great pyramids of Egypt were not Jewish slaves. Jews weren't Slaves? What?!

I have to disagree with this statement, only because it states clearly in the Bible (in Exodus) that there were Jewish Slaves. In Exodus 1 titled The Israelites Oppressed, technically stating that they were slaves, talks about the Israelite captivity before Moses was born. In order to keep the Jews from multiplying any further, the Egyptian Pharaoh has very first born killed.

I was outraged that such a scholarly Doctor would not acknowledge the fact that there were Jews as slaves in Egypt. He would only say that the people who built the pyramids were Egyptian workers (who were probably convicts and slaves themselves). But that, in itself, doesn't explain the obvious fact, presented to us in the Bible, that there were Jewish slaves.

 My only guess was that like the Holocaust, many Egyptians will not own up to the fact that they used and abused the Jewish people. Many Germans and Americans say that the Holocaust never happened. This must be the same with Dr. Hawass and his concept that all of the men working were Egyptians. If they were, then why did God send Moses to save his oppressed children?

Anyhow, I cannot believe that this assumption of Dr. Hawass is true. In fact, I know it is not. It states clearly in Exodus 2:23-25 that "...the Israelites groaned in their slavery and cried out, and their cry for help because of their slavery went up to God.  God heard their groaning and he remembered his covenant with Abraham, with Isaac and with Jacob. So God looked on the Israelites and was concerned about them."

I love to watch Dr. Hawass and find him to be a very wise and smart man whose love for the ancient Egyptian ways is every visible in his actions and the way he presents himself. But I do not agree with what he's saying about Jewish people not being slaves to the Egyptian Pharaohs. I mean, he has no real proof. And it's hard for me to believe something that is not hard evidence like the Bible. 

The Bible is believable because it is God's word. But Dr. Hawass's word is based of of what he chooses to believe and not what is said in the Bible. Sorry, but I am venting over this. It's hard for me to understand how someone could totally deny that there were Jewish slaves, but it's not unbelievable.

Anyhow, in addition to my ventilation of bottled up frustration and sense of right/wrong, I cannot urge you enough to be on guard when watching the History Channel--or any channel for that matter. Guard your heart (Proverbs 4:23) of the deceit and lies that are often spoken to those who do not know what they believe, and to those who are not firm in their faith. 

You cannot base all of your beliefs on what people on TV have to say. Especially since some of them have been deemed untrue by the factual evidence that the Bible presents. Watch those shows to get a perspective of the brainwashing that is occurring in this evil world, but be of a discerning and objective mind.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.