Update on my Grandpa

First of all, thank you to all who is praying for my Grandpa! It's mean a lot to our family. We're still trying to process the news, and I think my Grandpa is doing better at that than we are...thank God for his positivity! My mom and dad received an email from my Grandpa Kirk yesterday updating the family on his current situation with cancer. I've decided to let you read the email for yourselves, as he explains it better. Also, you can visit his new blog called: A Journey with God and Cancer. 

OK  folks here is the deal. Mom [my grandma, and dad's mom], Aunt Margaret [dad's Aunt and Grandpa's sister] and I went to Shands Cancer Institute in Gainesville today to meet with Dr. Chester Algood. He is the head of the Urology  Dept there and usually takes at least 3 weeks for an appointment. It was a God Thing that we were able to see him with a 2 day notice. The trip was productive, informative, encouraging and comforting. He has agreed to take the case and guide the treatment with the entire medical team.

First, he fully explained the type of cancer and gave an estimate of the stage. At this point, based on the information from the pathology report, he thinks the cancer is a borderline stage 3. That reduces the survivability somewhat from the stage 2 the Dr. in Jacksonville estimated. That does not mean it can’t be cured with proper treatment and a lot of prayer. He took time to explain the options available and to recommend a course of treatment. I am grateful that he spoke not just to me but to Helen as well and included her in the discussions. That really helped to ease her mind somewhat.

He is recommending a two phase treatment plan. First is a 3 month round of Chemo targeting the tumor. I would go in for the treatment for 3 weeks and then 1 week of rest before the next round. This, as I understand it, is slow the aggressiveness of the tumor. At the end of the Chemo they will do another Cat Scan and Cystoscopic procedure to re-evaluate the tumor. This will take place during the week of October 27. After that He will schedule surgery for the removal of the bladder and some of the surrounding tissue (probably the prostate). That should be early in November. I will let you know as soon as they have the schedule. He thinks the best option is to create a conduit to carry the urine from the kidneys to a bag on the outside of the body.

While none of the options are what I would want, Mom and I have a confidence in the Lord and in the medical team at Shands for the best treatment humanly possible. This does not mean we continue to pray for a Divine intervention and complete healing! More than anything else, I want to maintain a good testimony to the Grace of God and the Love of Jesus through the process. God has given me this verse to stand on…..Isaiah 26:3 “ Thou will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is steadfast on You, because he trusts in You”.

Know that I Love you and am so glad each of you are in my life.

All my Love.
Willis (Dad)
If you read all of that, then bless you! My Grandpa is long winded, but I always love reading or hearing what he has to say. He's got a way with words, don't you think? Well, thank you again for all of your prayers. The greatest thing I think that has come out of this so far is not only the fact that he does have a good chance of survival, but the fact that he is being positive about his experience and is determined to stay strong!

Comments

  1. Ooh, I'm glad he's doing well. I read all of that, and I'm not sure I understand it, but sounds like your Grandpa is doing great! Strong and willfull and positive, I like your Grandpa! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm not sure I understand it all myself. But whatever is happening right now, seems to be the work of God. So I'm happy with that! Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, I hope he does better! I'll be praying. My bestie's mom was diagnoised with pre-cancer (it's not cancer yet but can be triggered into becoming cancer. Mrs. C. is taking it pretty well, she's confident in God, but her daughter (my bestie) is pretty discouraged/confused/bewildered. Poor girl's nearly beside herself with worry.

    ~Awel P.

    p.s. Can't wait to see who wins. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope he continues to do well!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad he's doing better! God works in so many ways. :)
    Maybe these will cheer you up: =D=D=D=D=D=D=D=D=D=D=D=D=D=D=D=D=D=D=D=D
    *blush* Sorry for not ever commenting on Grace Like Rain before...I was planning to!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your grandpa is still in my prayers, Em!! I'm so glad he's doing better!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for becoming a follower of my blog, Emily! I glad you enjoy reading it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Emily, I had a question to ask. From the 27 to August 6 I'll be on vacation and I wondered if you'd like to guest post on Shilah? :) If you don't have time, rather not, then just tell me! you can email me

    but if you do, we can discuss details and get a date down for you. :)

    ~Awel P.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa! He's in my prayers.
    I think you used to follow my blog! Your URL is the same,but the way everything else is I'm not sure! But anyway my old blog was Princess on a farm!
    Now I made another blog called, "A Simple Farmgirl"!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely blog! So glad to be back:) Hope everything goes well with your grandpa -- prayers!

    Libby <3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.

Popular Posts