Update on my Grandpa
First of all, thank you to all who is praying for my Grandpa! It's mean a lot to our family. We're still trying to process the news, and I think my Grandpa is doing better at that than we are...thank God for his positivity! My mom and dad received an email from my Grandpa Kirk yesterday updating the family on his current situation with cancer. I've decided to let you read the email for yourselves, as he explains it better. Also, you can visit his new blog called: A Journey with God and Cancer.
If you read all of that, then bless you! My Grandpa is long winded, but I always love reading or hearing what he has to say. He's got a way with words, don't you think? Well, thank you again for all of your prayers. The greatest thing I think that has come out of this so far is not only the fact that he does have a good chance of survival, but the fact that he is being positive about his experience and is determined to stay strong!
OK folks here is the deal. Mom [my grandma, and dad's mom], Aunt Margaret [dad's Aunt and Grandpa's sister] and I went to Shands Cancer Institute in Gainesville today to meet with Dr. Chester Algood. He is the head of the Urology Dept there and usually takes at least 3 weeks for an appointment. It was a God Thing that we were able to see him with a 2 day notice. The trip was productive, informative, encouraging and comforting. He has agreed to take the case and guide the treatment with the entire medical team.
First, he fully explained the type of cancer and gave an estimate of the stage. At this point, based on the information from the pathology report, he thinks the cancer is a borderline stage 3. That reduces the survivability somewhat from the stage 2 the Dr. in Jacksonville estimated. That does not mean it can’t be cured with proper treatment and a lot of prayer. He took time to explain the options available and to recommend a course of treatment. I am grateful that he spoke not just to me but to Helen as well and included her in the discussions. That really helped to ease her mind somewhat.
He is recommending a two phase treatment plan. First is a 3 month round of Chemo targeting the tumor. I would go in for the treatment for 3 weeks and then 1 week of rest before the next round. This, as I understand it, is slow the aggressiveness of the tumor. At the end of the Chemo they will do another Cat Scan and Cystoscopic procedure to re-evaluate the tumor. This will take place during the week of October 27. After that He will schedule surgery for the removal of the bladder and some of the surrounding tissue (probably the prostate). That should be early in November. I will let you know as soon as they have the schedule. He thinks the best option is to create a conduit to carry the urine from the kidneys to a bag on the outside of the body.
While none of the options are what I would want, Mom and I have a confidence in the Lord and in the medical team at Shands for the best treatment humanly possible. This does not mean we continue to pray for a Divine intervention and complete healing! More than anything else, I want to maintain a good testimony to the Grace of God and the Love of Jesus through the process. God has given me this verse to stand on…..Isaiah 26:3 “ Thou will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is steadfast on You, because he trusts in You”.
Know that I Love you and am so glad each of you are in my life.
All my Love.