Do Not Merely Exist BLESSED SINGLENESS + FORSAKING IT ALL SAIL THE HIGH SEAS + BIBLE MAN ARMOR

Get To Know Me

September 30, 2010

{1} How do you personally define forgiveness?
Forgiveness? Gees, I've really never thought about it before. But what I do know is that forgiveness is Grace, and Grace is of God. I would much rather have graceful forgiveness than sweet revenge. It's a beautiful gift from God to his adopted children!

{2} What object of your possession has the most sentimental value in your eyes?
Now most will probably say "my iPod". Well...in a way that might be true. But I find that the most important possession is my Bible. I may not read it often, but there is a deep connection...almost like a bond that I have developed with this book.... Sounds crazy don't it? Hey, it's true! It's more of a connection with the Lord, but the Bible somehow makes me feel closer to him. (Am I crazy for thinking this?) Though I constantly take that book for granted, it's the only book that combines romance, history, action and drama into one....a perfect story told by an even more perfect Savior. 

{3} What song do you consider your personal theme song?
Atmosphere by Toby Mac. Want to know a little secret? Well, I used to be a very unhappy girl. I was always the focus of other kids teasing, back-stabbing and verbal abuse. I wasn't so popular.... I had "friends", but they really weren't my friends. There were times when I was so sad, I wondered if God really cared about me, whether he ever wanted me to be happy and to have a friend. I only wanted one, and I prayed constantly for God to give me a friend--a true friend. 
I  know you keep a journal and every page is rippled
From the tears that you cry, ain't no meanin' to your scribble
'Cause words can't describe what you've been feelin' inside
It's like thousand foot walls, and they're still on the rise
But look up to a beautiful sound
And see for yourself you're not that far down
And know this, I cannot love a little
My promise to you is unconditional
 This song has really helped me. I have always said that God used this song to speak to me, to help me understand that no matter how bleak life may seem, no matter how lonely life is, there is always God to turn to. He is love and his promise and friendship is true. Just after hearing this song, something amazing happened to me...I met and amazing girl at a church in Goodletsville, Tennessee. Her name was Megan Bryant. She was a beautiful soul! And in many ways she was just like me: lonely, hurt, and hungering for a friend who would be true. I was so blessed. I got to spend four years with this amazing person (truly a God send) before I had to move to a new church closer to home. I still miss her. And whether or not she knows this, she saved my life...in more ways than one.
Another one that I have recently added to my theme song collection is a song called Courage by Superchick. I have been going through a lot this past four years that have accumulated into a pulsing mixture of hatred, resentment, and disgust. Unfortunately, the outcome of this isn’t pretty, and it does come with consequences that I now have to face. Along with these emotions that have been bottled up inside of me, I also have a self-image issue. Yeah, I know. I talk a lot about beauty. But this is because I want you girls to see your worth! Those posts are from a girl who’s been there and knows how you feel and has had to learn to accept herself for who she is. And this song “Courage” has also helped me realize that I need to, more than ever, give over my whole life to the Lord. I need to surrender to His love and allow Him to help me through this time. 
I don't know the first time I felt unbeautiful
The day I chose not to eat
What I do know is how I changed my life forever
I know I should know better
There are days when I'm okay
And for a moment
For a moment I find hope
But there are days when I'm not okay
And I need your help
So I'm letting go
I need you to know
I'm not through the night
Some days I'm still fighting to walk towards the light
I need you to know
That we'll be okay
Together we can make it through another day

{4} Do the opinions of others about you really matter to you?
Of course it does, but not in the form of hurt feelings and holding a continual pity party for myself (I've learned how to deal with those feelings). No, the opinions of people—about the work that I do—makes me more determined to succeed and do better; to show them that "Yes, I can do it. You will not have control over the way I feel."And now that some things are being exposed in my life, some emotions and past hurts, I am beginning to realize that even thought I told myself “stick and stones may break my bones, but unkind words won’t harm me”, it was all in vain. It was because even though I told myself it didn’t bother me, subconsciously it did. It really does matter when you get down to the heart of the matter. 

{5} Do you ever make up words?
Yes. All of the time; not intentionally, though. I am famous for making up words...I get twisted a lot). Some of them are just plain funny and have become a new part of my vocabulary. :)

{6} Off the top of your head, do you know what your middle name means? (You can look it up though! :)
Yes, I do. My middle name is Shae (obvious!). The origin of my name is Celtic/Gaelic, German and African which goes every well, I think, with my last name which is Scandinavi: Kirk (meaning From The Church). My middle name (Shae) means: Hawk in Celtic/Gaelic, Beautiful in German, and Esteemed in African. Put my whole name together (meaning wise) and you get: The Industrious Hawk From The Church!
{7} What's something that never fails to make you smile?
My sissy! She's such a goof ball. Everything she does makes me laugh...I know that sounds low, but if you knew her, you'd like all the time, too. It's because she's got such a fun-loving nature about her. :)

{8} What person has touched your heart the most?
My mommy. She's everything I hope to be. She's so loving, accepting and caring.

{10} Who is your personal hero/heroine (fiction or real, or both) ? Why?
My mom and dad are my heroes. I know this isn't very original, but who doesn't consider their parents to be the people they look up to and wish to be? My mom and dad have done so much for my siblings and I that I am eternally grateful for the blessed parents God has blessed me with. 

{11} Are you curious or are you satisfied knowing that "that's just the way it is"?
"Please tell me! I want to know--what do you mean?" Oh, yeah, I can't stand it when people look at me and answer vaguely "that's just the way it is"? Come on people--what's that supposed to mean?!

{12} Do you ever get into arguments with...your characters? (That is, if you write a book :). And if you don't write, do you think you would?
No. I love my characters and let them do their own thing. I think that enables them to develop their own, unique character... rather than forcing them to be someone they weren't meant to be. I don't argue with my characters because that's just pointless. But I do have pep-talks with them!

{13}While reading a book or watching a movie, were you ever blown away by an unexpected plot twist? What was it and how did you react?
Not really, I usually catch on pretty quickly to the twist in the book plots. However, there was a movie that I got lost in because the twist to the plot was most unexpected. I can't remember the name of the Movie, but the guy was already dead and didn't know it. He was helping this little boy who could see dead people. He knew this guy was dead, but the guy didn't...until the end of the movie. 

{14} What's your favorite color combination?
 I tend to be drawn to a collaboration of colors. I prefer to the highest degree the following colors in any combination:  neon green, neon blue, neon yellow, neon orange, neon purple, and neon pink. Of course I do like rustic orange, turquoise, custard/country yellow, and a misty green.

{15} As a child, what was one thing that always frightened you? This could be something real or imagined! :)
The boogie man! I used to hide under the covers all night barely able to breath, but at least I felt safe. It didn't help that I slept in a loft and very close to an attic!

{16} What's your life motto?
I have several:
"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." Bill Cosby
"If anyone were to ask me what I want out of life I would say- the opportunity for doing something useful, for in no other way, I am convinced, can true happiness be attained." Eleanor Roosevelt
“Why shed tears on failures long forgotten when hope looms on the horizon?” Charles Casha

{17} What's something that's brought you so much comfort?
My stuffed Elephant and 3 blankets I've had since I was born. Yep, I'm still 2 at heart. :P

5 comments

  1. Emily, I LOVE Atmosphere by tobyMac! You are the first person I've ever met to say you liked it, too!!!! That song is so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love names... although my favorites are just a little more outlandish... for boys I really love,

    Carlo
    Major
    Roman
    Emmett
    Leonardo
    Timothy
    Oscar
    Odin
    Reed
    Luca
    Hugo

    for girls I really love

    Nella
    Betty
    Prudence
    Piper
    Pippa
    Ruth
    Fiora
    Coraline
    Maisie
    Imogene

    ... just to name a few. : )

    Love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Emily! i love your tags! some times i do them for fun!

    I loved the question of the As you're sitting in café, you're given a note: "It's in your best interests to meet me at 7 P.M. tonight, alone, at Pine and 4th." How would you react?

    It made me want to write a story! wow! I love your tags and blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So nice to read that God has helped you through that song! :) Also really great to read that your parents are your heros! I think every parent should be! And, great life mottos! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.