Being Real : A Purity Challenge

"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting" (e.e. cummings, 1955).
I love this quote. So many times I have done research for teen pregnancy, run across a TV show or some other form of entertainment, where there is always someone pressuring someone else to conform to having sex. And those who have been pressured usually give in to be like everyone else...because everyone else is 'doing it'.


Being real to me reflects who we are as individuals. We shouldn't have to change that in order to be accepted. We weren't made to be robots walking around with a teen guy on one hip and a baby on the other. At least not at 16! Let's be real, no one ever truly wants to be real with themselves. Why? Because we are afraid of what others might think of us. 


But let's be realistic here shall we? No one really cares. So, why should you care about what others may think? You'll probably never even see them again, so why let that change you? Another good quote is this:
"God has given you one face, and you make yourself another" (William Shakespeare).
God didn't make us who we are, so that we can trade ourselves in like a used car. We aren't meant to have sex outside of marriage. I believe that when we are real with ourselves, we have the chance to get to know who we are inside and out. We get the change to understand the person God made us to be. 


And with help from out Heavenly Father, we can stick to the straight and narrow path, live a life committed to purity and when we finally give ourselves away, we'll be one of the few who will be able to say: "I waited for you".


Believe it or not, I used to be ashamed to say that I was living a life of purity. I was embarrassed to let anyone know that I was one of those "spiritual" girls that chose to life according to God's plan and not my own. 


I was afraid of what people would think of me. Would they think of me as some freak with unrealistic notions of love? Would they think I was loony and stick me in the solitary confinement for the rest of my life? Would my friends disown me because I chose to be different and chose the path of anti-conformity over the other route?
 “Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it” (Matthew 7:13).

I learned that it's easier to hide than it is to be that light. I had to get real. I mean, what was I scared of? What were they going to do to me other than laugh at me and never be my friend again? I could live with that. I didn't need friends that wouldn't support me in my pursuit to remain sexually pure. In Romans 12:2, it tells us to not conform to the ways of the world. We should want to live our life for God and not for the world:
“Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”

However, after growing up a bit, I am not afraid to let anyone know that I am saving my heart, body and soul for the person God has in store for me. Whenever I get the chance, I tell those around me. If I could, I'd shout it from a mountain top!


At first, it was hard to be "real" with myself and with God. But by being real, I am able to share my passion for being sexually pure. It's my mission, my life-long goal to educate others on the wonderful journey we take when we choose to wait for that perfect God ordained person to walk into our lives. The rewards are endless, the trials more intense, but in the long run the match will be literally made in heaven and the bond firmly planted in our Solid Rock--Jesus Christ.


My Cinderella story is waiting. And I am waiting for my prince charming. If people think I am weird, then I am proud of it. If people say I am a fool, then I tell them, "I may be a fool, but I am a fool for God." I may be weak, but with Jesus I am strong. 

“Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:13-14).
Be real with yourself and never be afraid to be different. You are special, unique and have a wonderful life ahead of you if you choose to wait, instead of going with the flow. Dare to be yourself. Dare to embrace who you are in Christ. Dare to live. Dare to be different. Dare to be pure.

Comments

Popular Posts