The Honorable Imposter by Gilbert Morris

April 20, 2010

Most of you may not know this, but I am hopelessly hooked on the House of Winslow Series by Gilbert Morris! I learned about these books from my Grandma, who happens to have read all of his books (how she did it I don't know!).

I felt drawn to this series because it's a Historical/Christian/Romance series that offered the best of both words: the message of Jesus Christ integrated into a captivating Historical romance. And as most of you know, I am a sucker for anything romantic.

After listening to my Grandma go on-and-on about Gilbert Morris's books, I decided to look into getting myself the first book From the House of Winslow Series: The Honorable Imposter. 


The Honorable Imposter's theme is set in the 1620s. The book tells the history of the coming of the Pilgrims to the New World, and the trials and tribulations they faced during that first year in America. The book had everything a reader could ever dream of: adventure, romance, nail-biting, tear-jerking plot twists, and completely accurate historical events tied into the story lines.

The main character, Gilbert Winslow, a tall man with blond hair and cornflower blue eyes, is hired by Lord North to find and turn in William Brewster, the leader of the Puritans. Gilbert Winslow finds it impossible to turn in the man he has grown to love. He then finds himself unwillingly on the Mayflower headed toward the New World, a new world he wasn't prepared for.

Gilbert runs from God time and again from this book. An independent, strong man like himself didn't need a God, besides, he was tired of having the message of God shoved down his throat by his relentless father. However, after fighting, running and refusing to surrender his life over to the Heavenly Father, Gilbert finally finds the peace that only God can give. He then discovers something he had never fully realized: his love for a young woman, a woman who never thought she would ever find true love, a woman that was God ordained soul mate. Together they rejoice in the happiness they find together and in the sovereign peace they found with the Lord.

Gilbert Morris does a fantastic job in writing The Honorable Imposter, weaving his characters and integrating the history of our nation into a captivating, inspiring, moving book centered around Christ and his willingness to accept a wretch like Gilbert Winslow who had turned his back on God, only to return to find God's outstretched hand waiting for him.

This book is third person, past tense.


Pros:

It combines romance, history and God into one action packed book centered on the forgiving and loving nature of Christ.

Cons:

I can't think of anything I didn't like.But it was slow at first.


Objectionable Content:

Language: None

Romance: Yes, there was kissing scenes. But nothing revealing.

Violence: Some mild description of war-related violence

I would rate this book 5 stars and recommend it for ages 13 + up.

4 comments

  1. I think I might have read a couple of the books in this series, but they aren't really my cup of tea. You used my same rating system; I guess you think it's good? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emily, for your comment on my blog! I still have to put the button and I'll write a post about it when its up and running.

    Blessings!
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, no, no, Emily! I don't mind you using it at all! I'm glad you like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily, I awarded you over at my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.