Do Not Merely Exist BLESSED SINGLENESS + FORSAKING IT ALL SAIL THE HIGH SEAS + BIBLE MAN ARMOR

The Twilight Obsession: Fans vs. Critics

March 1, 2010

Twilight haters are becoming just as bad as Twilight fans! I don’t like Twilight (I’ve never seen it, but I am fed up with its popularity and the crazy fans), however I am no Twilight hater; I do respect people’s opinions and am not trying to insult any Twilight fan.


The Army of Anti-Twilighters vs. the crazy obsessed Twilight fans has gone out of control. In my opinion, both of these groups need to grow up and stop bashing each other—do they not have anything better to do? I mean, common, it’s just a book!


If they think Twilight is a good book, then they might want to read a well written book that doesn’t overuses adjectives, take words completely out of context and actually develops the characters to their utmost potential, then they might want to try reading a book that will get them thinking like intellectuals and back into reality such as Last of the Mohicans, The Scarlet Letter, 1984, and Grapes of Wrath—instead of fictional vampires that “sparkle” like Edward Cullen in Twilight.


People need to wake up and smell the coffee—there is more to life than a romance between a mortal and a vampire.


From my experience with some of my friends (who are die-hard Twilight fans) I have noticed that it turns young girls into drooling robots bent on finding a vampire that will control them and smother them into having utterly no life and no friends. Twilight is a move with periods of gradual decline followed by full development, achievement, glory, etc. I have to say, it honestly does not allure me.

Twilight is a movie with forbidden love as the main theme. From a Christian point of view, this movie is not one that I would want to see. And the book is not one that I would want to read either. I can’t understand peoples' reasoning when they rant and rave that Twilight is the “best book ever!”


Or that the movie was completely amazing..."Edwards was "like" so Hot!" It seems to me that fans are so obsessed with Twilight that human decency flies out the window, as they go around cursing and slapping people who do not like the movie, haven’t read the book, etc.


The problem is that people have become obsessed with this unrealistic standard presented by a fictional character who defies the laws of what vampires are: blood sucking demons serving Satan—the father of deceit.


People who are overly obsessed with this whole series need to lighten up and understand that Twilight is just a movie and a book. The problem with this is that people have their minds so wrapped up in this crazy fiction, they can’t even see reality.


People against Twilight need to get a grip and stop pestering the Twilight fans as well as the countless others, who do not like Twilight, but have the decency to respect the people who do. I am tired of hearing the hatred towards this group and well as the other way around.


 If they [Anti-Twilighters] want to get the point across that Twilight is a bad book (and I agree that it is), they should do it in a more civilized manner without verbal abuse— which is immature—without insulting and cursing, or physical abuse by slapping, hitting, etc (this goes for Twilight fans as well).


If people do not agree with the message that Twilight presents to their children, then  they shouldn't let them read it!


If they are sick of hearing their obsessed friends chatter about how “hot” Edward is, then they should switch the conversation or walk away! If their tired of watching the commercials that present Twilight as the best movie of all-times, then they should change the channel! It’s that simple!


Why can’t people see that Twilight is just a book littered with fictional characters that struggle with the desire to drink human blood, have social issues in school and get super hairy at times?


This just goes to show that there is a major decline in the value of a good, educational book. And the fact that people's desire to read and educate themselves with real literature is becoming less obvious and less important.


Books that have meaning, promote intellectual conversation, thinking and reasoning have gone out the door and have been replaced with books, like Twilight, that turn youth into drooling zombies mumbling the words EDWARD CULLEN IS HOT.


People who actually value a good book are too far in between, and that’s just sad.

So, in closing, Twilight fans and non-fans need to understand that fighting over something so dumb isn’t worth the time or the energy.
Leviticus 19:17 says this “Do not hate your neighbor [or any other person] in your heart. Rebuke your neighbor frankly so you will not share in his guilt.” 
Sooner or later this whole crazy, meaningless quarrel over Twilight is going to come back and bite them in the rear—what goes around comes around. This is the reason I choose not to stand on either side of this disagreement—but with God, whom I look to when I need discernment and help. He is my wise counsel. There is none greater.

P.S. I am entitled to my views. If you disagree with me, I am totally fine with it as long as you present your views in a respectable way. That means NO foul language. Express your thoughts in a mature, Christian like way! I hope to hear from you all on this issue!

7 comments

  1. I agree with you completely Emily! I really don't like Twilight. I hate it when people are obsessed and I also hate it when people rant about how much they hate it. I don't judge people who read/watch the books/movies, but I am certainly NOT going to. I have plenty of friends who are obsessed, but I don't bug then about liking it. I just respect their opinion and interests. Great post! ;)

    {Hugs}
    Eldarwen

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN!!! As much as I don't like Twilight, I believe that people should respect one another in their disagreements.

    Thank you for posting this!

    God Bless!
    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily,

    I totally agree with you. This post is a blessing. Plenty of my non-Christian friends (I am a recent convert to the faith) are obsessed with Twilight. The fact that they're obsessed by a book doesn't bother me that much, but what does is that they convince themselves that their own Edward is somewhere out there, while he isn't! True love and Twilight do not mix, and I wish that my friends and the girls I know would understand that.

    God Bless you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I agree in many points with you.
    I read all the books and saw the movies, but I don't love the books. I see the movies and the books simple as movies and books. I don’t want to live like the characters in the books and I don’t think that young people should be obsessed of vampires and werewolves. The books are a bit like a fairy tale and I think that’s the reason why so many love it, but it’s sad that they forget what the books are about. Forbidden love. I think many of the fans don’t like forbidden love, but there are so many other beautiful things in the book, so that they totally forget about it. And Stephenie Meyer is a really good author. She created a magical world and if you start reading the books it’s hard to stop.
    I don't like it when people are obsessed and I don't like it when people say that they hate Twilight. I think it’s not really fair. I think it’s good to discuss about Twilight, but not only to announce, that you hate it. I have my opinion and I respect the opinions of Twilight haters and Twilight fans.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm having a little idea streak on my blog Summer Girl and I need feedback from my beloved readers! I was wondering if you wanted to stop by and drop me a comment. If this is advertising, I apologize - you can delete or ignore this comment. I just wanted to give you all the heads-up. Thanks!
    ~Emma~
    PS the blog URL is http://summergirl-ew.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, your a girl of wisdom, I've enjoyed reading your story blog and this one...keep it up

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.