17 Again

March 29, 2010

You could call me unconventional, a late bloomer, a tight-wad, or whatever you want for just now watching this movie, but the only thing I can say is that I don't go to movie theaters.

They've become way too expensive, and what are we truly paying for? A possibly lame movie that looked awesome in the previews? The gobs of butter on the pop corn? The amount of filth we sit and stand in? Yuck!

Not that I have anything against that experience...the gum on the bottom of my shoe, the slimy, greasy arm rests, the crumb infested chairs and dirty floors.... It's all fun, but if I really wanted to sit down, relax and watch a movie, I'd do it in the comfort of my own home. So,  that's why I wait until the movie has come out on DVD to watch it. Less expensive that way.

I had my doubts about 17 Again. I wasn't particularly thrilled that Zac Efron was in the movie (not that I don't like him...because I do!). I was just afraid that he would be singing and prancing around like he does in the High school Musical series. And I wasn't in the mood to hear another high-pitched serenade from a happy-go-lucky guy formerly known as Troy Bolton.

Yeah, I am not a fan of the High School Musical movies. Musicals get on my nerves, with the exception of The Sound of Music, Oklahoma, and State Fair.

However, I was pleasantly surprised to learn that there was absolutely no singing in this movie. Because it's Zac Efron's 1st non-singing performance. OK, OK, I'll stop being mean and opinionated and skip to the facts. Got a little carried away, sorry. :)

:::Cast & Crew:::
Starring: Zac Efron, Leslie Mann, Matthew Perry, Thomas Lennon, Michelle Trachtenberg, Tyler Steelman, Sterling Knight
Director: Burr Steers
Producer: Adam Shankman, Jennifer Gibgot
Screenwriter: Jason Filardi

:::Details:::
Moral Rating: (4 starts)
Movie making Quality: Average, though the acting was great!
Primary Audience: Teens, Adult
Genre: Comedy
Length: 1 hr. 42 min.
Year of Release: 2009
USA Release: April 17, 2009
DVD: August 11, 2009
Violence: Mild
Profanity: Moderate
Sex/Nudity: Mild


:::Review:::

17 Again is truly a heart warming movie to watch. It reminded me of the movie What a Wonderful Life  to a certain extent. At the beginning of the movie, the Adult Mike O’Donnell (played by Matthew Perry) is a typical looser. His kids don't like him and he really messed up his marriage. His boss has overlooked him for a long overdue promotion, and he knows life could have been better for him if he had gone to college with a basketball scholarship, instead of marrying his pregnant girlfriend.

20 years down the road Mike O’Donnell is living with his friend Ned (who's a real geek), as Mike goes through a divorce. When he returns to the high school of his glory days, a janitor asks him if he wishes he could be "17 again". Mike strongly wishes he could. That night after meeting the janitor, Mike falls through a vortex and finds himself seventeen all over again.

The beginning of the movie does start out rather week, and I was afraid it was going to be a dud, but as the movie progressed, the momentum eventually picked up into a funny, charming movie! I was hooked. Zac Efron delivers an excellent and most convincing performance as a father trapped in a teen’s body. The chemistry between him and Leslie Mann was wonderful (though a little odd), but it worked since their scenes together were vital, and since they had to display a connection between the younger Mike and his wife.

The movie is rated PG-13 because it does contain some offensive content, such as the Lord's name is profaned occasionally throughout the film, some low-cut attire, discussions about sex, and at the end of the film, there is a unmarried couple shown in bed together. Also, Mike’s daughter Maggie is always kissing her slime-ball of a boyfriend, who eventually dumps her because she said no to having sex with him. The daughter didn't seems to think her decision was the best, but it does provide a good ice breaker for parents who want to discuss this issue with their own teens.

I have two favorite scene in the movie. One was during the sexual education class. The teacher defies the abstinence policy by passing out condoms saying that seniors are very unlikely to remain abstinent. Mike makes an impassioned speech about "waiting until marriage". After the speech, some students even begin returning the condoms except for, of course, Maggie’s slimy boyfriend who practically takes the whole basket. And another scene was when Mike Gold (played by Zac Efron) talks to his "daughter" about how valuable she is and that her decision to refrain from sex was a very good thing. He goes on to tell her how one day she will find the perfect guy who will treat her the way she deserves to be treated. The sincerity in this scene was phenomenal!

Even though Mike blamed his wife for his current life. He eventually realizes that his decisions and his life were not that bad; it was his negative perception that prohibited him from seeing the good in his life. It goes to show that "Whenever something seemingly bad happens perhaps we should change our own perception and view those times as a training ground to become better soldiers for Christ" (Christian Answers.net).



Photobucket

4 comments

  1. I LOVE that movie. Never really cared for Zac until HSM3 and he just rocked this role. That and I adore sterling knight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hm...maybe I should rent it. :)

    Lovely review--very interesting to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this movie, too! Like you, I wasn't expecting much, because Zac just annoyed me in the HSM movies -- but my whole family loved this movie, and we were all surprised about how good it was:)

    Luv,Emii

    ReplyDelete
  4. great review.. I LOVE this movie.. I actully went and saw it in the movie theater with some friends.. i still love watching it.

    Zac does do an AMAZING role in this movie i was surprised how good ;)

    Great Review

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.