Re:Re: Can Opposites Attract?

Hello Emily!


What an interesting post this is . . . I have often wondered, too - I believe opposites can attract, however not always for the right reasons!


The question rather . . . Should opposites attract? I agree with you completely . . . if there is no heart for God, there should be no attraction. Christ should always be our first love, no matter what! :)


Lauren


******

Hello Lauren!

I agree with what you have had to say. I also thank you for taking the time to comment. As I read your comment, I realized that this was, indeed, another part of the issue (that opposites can attract for all of the wrong reasons), that should be expounded on and not taken lightly.

Why should it not be taken lightly? Well, many people mistake lust and attraction with being in-love. Everyone can be attracted to a person and mistake it for love. That's only natural, especially for teens. For example: my sisters (15) and her guy-friend (16) like each other. My sister wants to be just friends...she's attracted to him, but not in a way that would be considered "true love". Puppy love maybe, but not true love


However, this guy that really likes her is very attracted to my sister. He's a christian guy, but even Christians can become distracted from the main focus, God. Anyhow, he keeps telling her that he feels that God is telling him that his relationship with my sister was meant to last forever...that they're destined to marry. Yeah, I'll believe that when it happens!

But, what I am trying to get at is that he (my sister guy friend) has confused physical attraction with being in-love. He doesn't see the difference. He doesn't understand the purpose for taking it slow, being friends and letting God lead. But, he's a boy! And what boy understands such things at that age? 


As I thought about this, I also thought about what I had said to myself yesterday while reading the post you are referring to, I asked myself, "It's true that opposites do attract...but isn't it also true that opposites can attract for reasons that are not always the right reasons?" 


Of course. There is no way around it!


Everyone has a sinful nature and a desire to be with the opposite sex. It's only natural. Because people fall quickly for the opposite characteristics that they find attractive, they barely have time to stop and think (in some cases they refuse to think) about whether or not they are with the person God had predestined them to spend the rest of their lives with. They fail to understand the difference between true love and their sexual desires. It's not our job to choose for ourselves the person we are to spend the rest of our lives with...It is for God to know, for God to let happen and for God to deem glorifying to his name.


And Lauren, I totally agree with you...God should be our #1 in everything we do. If we are not on fire for God and if our mate is not on fire for God, then there should be absolutely no attraction and definitely no relationship.


Love & Blessings,


Emily

Comments

Popular Posts