Twilight

January 4, 2010



Twilight is a move with periods of gradual decline followed by full development, achievement, glory, etc. I have noticed that a lot of people are obsessed with Stephanie Meyers' Twilight series. I am sick of hearing and reading about the movie on reviews, commercials, the Internet, and from my own friends. I have to say, it honestly does not allure me.


From a Christian point of view, this movie is not one that I would— myself being a big romance fan—want to see. Twilight is a movie with forbidden love as the main theme.


From what I got out of the book and the reviews, the book and movie promote celibacy, which is obviously due to the nerve-racking tension between the two lead characters, and the whole good conquers evil thing.


The cons of the movie for Christians, is the whole immortal vampire thing, unlike other vampire movies, Twilight is more grounded in reality (if you can even say that!), but for me it is still an over-the-top, over-rated fictional romance movie about a vampire and a dumbstruck teen: Bella Swan.


Since vampires don't exist, it is only fantasy and I do not think that as Christians we should submerse ourselves in things that are immoral, Thessalonians 5:21-22 says to: 
"Test everything. Hold on to the good. Avoid every kind of evil."
I am not saying that fantasy in general is evil, but when it promotes demonic characters such as vampires and werewolves, then that’s where I draw the line.


The actual "BOOK" is not evil per-say. But the written material can be misleading and when taken out of context can, unintentionally aid Satan in his mission to twist and corrupt people's minds, and make them question their beliefs and faith. (I have seen this in my own friends.)


I would like to think Stephanie Meyers' purpose for writing this book was not to stir up evil, but it does allow Satan to have an advantage--it opens a door for him to be able to distort people's thinking and views.


There is a lot of insane stuff out there in the form of "literature" and I believe that we, as Christians, need to be cautious about what we read and let into our minds--our eyes are the windows to our soul.


God wants us to only partake in what is pure and holy. Philippians 4:8 says this: 
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy-think about such things." 
Therefor, what ever is not noble, pure, right, lovely, admirable shouldn't be the focal point of our lives.


Oddly enough, Meyers interjects her book with moral themes with which Christians resonate. The book deals with a whole lot of temptation and boundaries, which are relateable to the everyday life of a teen, yet the movie's love story is pretty much all about sexual attraction. It’s up to the teen and the parent whether or not this book is deemed appropriate.


I for one will not read this book or see the movie (that does not mean I do not have a right to give my opinion on this book/movie...because I do). However tempting it may be to give into my human desires and conform to the world, I will sustain from this want to see the movie and remain pure in mind, spirit and heart.

7 comments

  1. *Applaud* I am not a Twilight/New Moon fan either. Both my sisters went through the whole phase, reading ALL the books cover to cover. I for one am not into "dark" fanatsy. Some people may not call these books "dark" but lets just say for me they are. I like flower fairies-my whole room is done up with them--but I stay away from magic---yes and vampires! I have to admit though (for honesty sake) that I saw the first movie and it does inspire a sort of "thrill". I love Romantic chic flicks, but there is smething about Twilight that just doesn't click......

    Anyway--good review!

    xoxo
    LEXI

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a well written post Emily, but I doubt your viability in talking about Twilight. You said at the end that you have not and will not read or watch Twilight, so therefore how can you fairly judge it? To review a book you have to actually read it otherwise you can't give a fair opinion of it. I understand if you don't want to read the book, but then you shouldn't give it a review such as this. My mom read this book before she let me and found that aside from the vampire/werewolf things, it's actually a very moral series and speaks a good message to the teens of this day to wait to have sex until after you're married.
    I would also like to point out the books such as The Chronicles of Narnia, while it teaches good lessons, parts can also be taken out of context and aid Satan. All books and movies can do this if taken out of context.
    This is only the second time I've been on your blog and the rest still impresses me, I just don't agree with your view on Twilight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very well said, Emily! You go girl! Voice your opinion! ;) I totally agree. I am no fan of these rediculous books/movies that are taking over teenage girls' minds around the world.

    Hugs,
    Eldarwen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Emily,
    I'm just not really into the whole vampire thing, either.
    I've heard that, unless you've read the books, the movies don't even make sense -- that they're actually pretty badly made.
    I'm not judging them, Twilight fans.
    And, just in case you're wondering -- I think Jacob is better looking than Edward. :P I'm not trying to start one of those stupid debate things, though, Em:)

    Luv,Emii

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm offering a free custom item to 6 people a month and a whole blog makeover to 4 people a month and I'd love to make something for YOU! Please visit my blog background blog "Happiness" www.megansblogforeverything.blogspot.com to find out how YOU can get some cool stuff for your blog(s)!

    ~Megan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Emily,

    I would say that I very, very much agree with you because I have read some of the books. I love that verse you pointed out, I try and life my life to the full with that :)

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Emily!
    I agree!! I'm in NO WAY a Twilight/New Moon fan. I haven't read the books or watched the movies ( partly on account that my parents won't let me) but I've seen and heard enough to stay far away from it! I agree also that Twilight gives Satan a way into peoples minds and thoughts.
    It makes me even more want to keep living for God and I know that there is no darkness in Him!
    Great Review!
    Blessings,
    Samarah

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. Please keep your comments clean. So, please no foul language.